I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

shorten center pin butt
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 02, 2014 10:04PM

I have a centerpin float rod with a 12" butt. I'd like to take about 6" off the butt to lighten it and cast easier.
Doing so will decrease the action, would it not?

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shorten center pin butt
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2014 07:32AM

It will make the action a tad slower, you are correct.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 10:28AM

Harry,
If you have a center pin with a 12 inch butt, I am guessing that after it is used for a while that the person doing the casting will not like it very much at all.

If this is on the usual "long" center pin rod, there is a good chance that removing 6 inches from the butt of the rod, will make the rod very very tip heavy and not a lot of fun to either use or to cast.

If you wanted to do this, I might suggest that you just do a temporary tape on of the grip and reel seat with this short back grip and go out and use it on the water for a couple of days.

I hate to see a lot of work and effort put into a rod, and then have the rod turn out so that the user is unhappy with the build.

You use the words, "to lighten it". Although you may take a bit of weight off the rod, the current weight of the 12 inch butt serves a critical purpose. That length and weight helps to counter balance the long rod in front of the reel seat for better overall balance and feel.

I can only say, that I have had "very tip heavy" rods in the past, but I certainly own no such rods any more.

Good luck

Harry,
If you have a center pin with a 12 inch butt, I am guessing that after it is used for a while that the person doing the casting will not like it very much at all.

If this is on the usual "long" center pin rod, there is a good chance that removing 6 inches from the butt of the rod, will make the rod very very tip heavy and not a lot of fun to either use or to cast.

If you wanted to do this, I might suggest that you just do a temporary tape on of the grip and reel seat with this short back grip and go out and use it on the water for a couple of days.

I hate to see a lot of work and effort put into a rod, and then have the rod turn out so that the user is unhappy with the build.

You use the words, "to lighten it". Although you may take a bit of weight off the rod, the current weight of the 12 inch butt serves a critical purpose. That length and weight helps to counter balance the long rod in front of the reel seat for better overall balance and feel.

I can only say, that I have had "very tip heavy" rods in the past, but I certainly own no such rods any more.

Good luck

Harry,

Good luck

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 03, 2014 12:03PM

I am so glad that I submitted this post before I did anything. I will complete the build as I originally intended. The butt grip is birch bark and tulipwood and already epoxied into place.
As Paul says "let it be..".Thanks Roger.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 01:46PM

12" is a little long for a "centerpin", but you may find that you like it while playing a good fish.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 03, 2014 02:21PM

I make my centerpins so the butt end just reaches the elbow when holding the fore grip just in front of the reel. This usually is 9-10 1/2 inches long. If it gets too long when casting it gets caught up in your jacket etc.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 03:16PM

If this rod is about 11' long you will be happy to have that wood handle to lighten the tip up
After you fish it a while you can then decide on what to do

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 03:20PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster