I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RCLB79ML input
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2014 03:56PM

I've picked up a Rainshadow RCLB79ML to build into a live bait rod for big fall reds and some of the other big fish we get here in coastal Georgia. Would love some input from those of y'all who have built/used this rod as far as how to build it up. I'm toying with the idea of a cord wrapped lower grip. It'll be used primarily fished out of a kayak, so i'm thinking about a shorter rear grip. Butt is .630". Not sure if i'll put cork tape under the cord or not. Also thinking about a deckhand style rod but don't know if i'd really like that or not.

I did a search here on the blank and found Kerry Batson's suggestions about components and guide spacing. Copied and saved those; i'd just like to hear if anyone else suggests anything different before i start to work.

Thanks,
kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RCLB79ML input
Posted by: Nathan Elswick (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2014 04:45PM

Do you stand in your kayak at all when you fish or do you primarily sit down? I do about 90% of my fishing out of kayak anywhere from bass fishing ponds to fishing 1-2 miles offshore. Personal preference will play a lot in to what you want for a grip and its length. I like longer grips that way if you use rod holders on your kayak the reel isn't hitting the rod holder at all. I cast 10" rear grip sections out of my kayak and its no issue at all for me personally. For offshore purposes I have used handle sections with an overall length of between 18-26 and still was no issue for me. For the rod you're building I would say an overall length of about 16-18 inches for your grip section would be plenty for casting unless you prefer a shorter overall length. Personally I like the longer sections of handles so all of my rods similar to what you have build have an OAL of 18-18 inches from the butt of the rod to the tip of the foregrip.

Date: October 03, 2014 09:33AM

For the fish I'll be after with this rod, I won't be standing. I'll be oceanside in my Tarpon 160 fishing live bait. Those are not conditions conducive to standing. I do stand all the time if I'm fishing freshwater or up in the marsh in my Ultimate 12.

10" for the rear grip is actually shorter even than I had in mind. I'll keep playing with it.

I did wrap some 1/8" cord around the butt yesterday. I like a thin rear grip, but not that thin. Will have to put something under it.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 03, 2014 11:22AM

Eastern Red Cedar handle is the way i would go.

Cover with epiphanes finish, spar varnish or PG, maybe composite or foam buttcap so something softer is banging into your body parts..
Single D thread for taking up space between blank after boring out to 17/18 mm.

You could go 22 or 24 reel seat for that type of rod and extend the cedar to become the shim/arbor for the seat with that short butt.

Looks awesome, fishes well, very light and wears well.

Cork tape not my first choice but its your rod.
I have an old butt over tip 2 piece 11 ft 15~40# i refinished a few weeks ago with cork tape and a Fuji 24 reel seat.
I landed up dipping the butt in Plastidip to make it more durable in the rod holders.
It was 1/8 cork tape and it tore up on one trip.

Date: October 03, 2014 04:36PM

Thanks, Lou. I sold my wood lathe before i moved back to Georgia, so i don't see any wood handles in the near future.

My thinking with the cork tape was as an under layer for the tuna cord, not as an exposed grip. Just something to build it up underneath.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 03:01PM

Kevin, then the cork works like a filler and its ok.
But exposed not so muck.
I have used Ozite carpeting in a long strip that works ok.Way better than cork strip also its thicker.
Its what they cover putt putt greens in.
Pretty tough but can get a serious funky smell from fish bits sticking on it if you use bait.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster