I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crosswrap help
Posted by: Marc Morris (107.77.80.---)
Date: October 02, 2014 01:34AM

Built my father-in-law a rod, which he requested a crosswrap. I've never done one, but it came out pretty nice as I'm still a newbie. Trouble I'm having is securing both ends of this crosswrap. I had to double the thread to "hide" some of the frays which were cut, but it just made the ends bulky. Any suggestions on how I can or could minimize the bulky look and have a nice transition?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crosswrap help
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 02, 2014 07:38AM

Deleted response because I misunderstood the original posters problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2014 11:24AM by John E Powell.

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 02, 2014 09:27AM

Per Dale Clemons book years ago I wrap my end wraps working out from both ends of the wrap. I use a lot of tight pressure to start. after 5 to 10 revolutions I begin to cut away the ends of the wraps at an angle cutting away from the wrap. I alternate cutting and wrapping and eventually get down to bare blank. It helps to coat the cross with color preserver first and let it sit a day. This makes the wrap somewhat stay in place.

Posted by: Marc Morris (107.77.80.---)
Date: October 02, 2014 09:48AM

I used A thread on this wrap and I doubled the trim wraps at the end of the crosswrap as there were a bunch of cut threads that I couldn't hide under a single layer trim wrap. I did not think about cutting in small increments while wrapping the trim portion, which may help eliminating the bulky look. I appreciate y'all's help. Thank you. FYI, the rod is a 6'6 ML action

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 02, 2014 10:22AM

Marc its hard to explain what I am talking about in the cutting method but it works really well and gives a very smooth and professional look to the locking wraps. No bulky look at all. Perhaps some of the other guys can explain it better then me. I know when doing multiple weave layors you almost have to do my method or end up with a big thick mess. There are other tricks such as the popsicle sticks and double sided carpet tape but it all comes down to the same method. Guys help me out here.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2014 10:32AM

Don't cut the ends all at once. Cut a few on each revolution of your tie-off wrap. This smooths the transition and eliminates the tendency to have any sort of high edge to hide.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 03, 2014 09:33AM

Start the tie off and work your way to the end. After you have it started increase the thread tension every 5 turns or so. Once you have it secured (for me I like about 1/4" ) then I will cut the threads at an angle starting near the tie off thread and increasing the cut off threads in length. This will provide a smoother transition for the tie off thread. After cutting the threads and before you wrap them take your burnishing tool and flatten or fray the the cut thread ends. This will also make for a smoother transition. I usually have a 1" tie off on my rods with I'm finish, this will depend on the rod diameter.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: Marc Morris (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2014 10:22AM

It indeed helped. Very grateful for your help. Thank you gentlemen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster