I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom K
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.asbnva.dhcp.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 26, 2014 05:40PM

Tom,

I perceive you to be a master rod builder. You are the heart of this forum, Rodmaker Magazine, and the mastermind of the ICRBE; but if I search on your name in the photo page I don't see any examples of your work. Am I missing something in the search? I, for one, would like to see some pics of your builds, I'm sure it is fine. Hope I'm not stepping out of bounds here.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom K
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2014 06:52PM

I have quite a few photos there - make sure your search definition includes a time period going back many years. Most of what I have posted in the last 3 or 4 have been photos of the ICRBE.

Date: August 26, 2014 06:56PM

You can start here and just keep hitting the "next page" button at the bottom of each page. There is a ton of stuff here related to the show and magazine so you'll have to pick through to find some rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: August 27, 2014 07:47AM

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.interserver.net)
Date: August 27, 2014 09:18AM

Thread, feathers, foam, cork, flock, metal, wood, plastic and all manner of everything else. You sir, are no one trick pony!

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 27, 2014 11:40AM

Thanks Tom, a lot great great stuff there.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Bill Couch (107.155.113.---)
Date: August 28, 2014 11:30AM

This is still my favorite but even with the instructions you provided in the mag I find it way too hard to do. Would love to see any updates or additions you have made to this technique since you first came up with it.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: August 28, 2014 01:13PM

I did a follow up article a few years later where you simply laid the thread (NCP) onto a base wrap with a coat of tacky epoxy on it. It's still a little tough to make smooth turns and shapes, but it cuts the time in half versus the original.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster