I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gt/tuna popping blank
Posted by: Tristan Batho (60.225.167.---)
Date: August 06, 2014 06:28AM

Hi I'm thinking of building a popping rod for gt tuna
and was wondering if any one built them and on which blanks?
was looking for around 7'5" PE8 and to throw around 70g-180g
was going to do some stick baiting with it swell
thanks

Tristan
Sydney, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gt/tuna popping blank
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 06, 2014 08:19AM

The saltywater Race Point 200 is nice.
Around $300 for blank so not cheapest but nice.
Very straight blank and minimal spine, secure ferule that is going to last years if that is important to you.
PE 8 60 to 140 gm lure.
Stated max drag is 14kg but my mate sets his drag to 30kg on 150lb braid ( its his arms taking the shock, good luck to him)

Butt section tapers thin at butt thicker at ferule so its a build backwards deal .

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 06, 2014 08:53AM

Check out the American Tackle GT blanks .. they are "1+ blanks" extend/collapse into the butt section. They have a variety of them at the 7'6" length. Shipping too will be cheaper if you have to have them sent from the US - MudHole is a good source and ships internationally,

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2014 10:22AM

Our Bushido GT/popping blanks are the toughest on the market! Everyone that builds on them absolutely love them!

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: brad parker (96.126.225.---)
Date: August 06, 2014 12:00PM

I second the Bushido blanks, I love the ones I have.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 06, 2014 01:31PM

I use them to build Alabama rig rods that are tough & will fit in a rod locker when collapsed but can remain rigged.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 06, 2014 05:14PM

Hi Tristan,

Yesterday I received a shipment from your next door neighbor (Kilwell in NZ).

The shipment consisted of 3 GOM GT blanks and 3 long distance fishing blanks.

The GOM GT are rated to a maximum of PE 12. PE 10 recommended.
It is 8' 6" and butt joined. The use is GT and tuna. The 3 blanks are already sold.

Similar to the GOM GT is the GOM3. It is rated PE 10/ PE 8.

The last blank in this group is the XTUPE10 (?). It is the nano version and is about 8' long and is also PE 10/PE 8 rated.

I believe Synit is located in NZ. They may be your best opportunity to acquire the best GT / Tuna blanks.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Dave O'Brien (202.74.138.---)
Date: August 06, 2014 05:49PM

G-day Tristan

about 2 and a half years ago i built a GT poppin stick for a weeks fishin at mackerel island just of the Western Aus coast i used the 50-100lb CBR tuna poppin blank an to be honnest i didn't really push it to it limits as most of the GT we caught were about 10 to 15kg but a mate caught a massaive chinaman that wouls have been close to 1.5m plus. i know the 50 to 100lb is a but heavy for the cast weight but there 30-60lb might better suit the casting weights.

Dave O'Brien
Port Macquarie
Australia

Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lnse1.pie.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 07, 2014 04:06AM

Check out the Black Hole nano popping range. Have built a few now with only positive feedback. The clients were using for big GT's out of Exmouth and the Mackerals.

Stu Klose
Denmark, Western Australia

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 07, 2014 06:28PM

Tristan Batho,
Check out our RainShadow RCLB 79MH blank for your GT Tuna!! You could also try to find our IMU82MH and cut it down. These are discontinued, but if you look around the price on them is definitely right!! You can compare specs amongst others by visiting www.rainshadowrodblanks.com and you can outfit your rod blank with components as well: www.alpsforecast.com

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 08, 2014 07:55PM

I second the Blackhole. Only blank that I use now for my personal rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster