I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tk mandrel
Posted by: Thomas R. Zack (---.62.36.69.in-addr.arpa)
Date: August 05, 2014 08:27PM

I use a tk mandrel for turning handles but I get an awful lot of vibration using it What would cause this and how do I remedy it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tk mandrel
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2014 08:35PM

Need more info. What are you turning it on? What's the mandrel diameter? Is it bent?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2014 09:58AM

Thomas,
Turn on the lathe with nothing in it - does the lathe run without vibration?

Put the mandrel into the lath head stock and clamp it to the tail stock and run the lathe at all speeds, does the lathe run without vibration.

If both of the above are true, but you get vibration when you put a piece of work onto the mandrel when turning, it simply means that you are not getting the work piece trued up, in the early stages of the turning when you turn at low speeds.

True the work as soon as you start and you will not have vibration, if the other two steps run true without vibration.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2014 10:02AM

You can also try rolling the mandril on a flat surface to make sure it is not bent

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2014 09:30AM

Thomas,

When installing the mandrel in the lathe chuck, tighten up snug not tight, and then install the tail stock in place. Loosen and re-tighten chuck tight, then tighten tailstock. Do not over tighten tail stock as this will cause the mandrel to flex. Only apply enough pressure from the live center to provide friction for the center to spin. If it "chatters" stop the lathe, loosen the chuck and rotate the mandrel 1/8 of a turn, then try it again. This is the same if the mandrel is not running true, loosen the chuck, and keep rotating the mandrel 1/8 of a turn until it runs true.

Once you find where the mandrel runs true in your lathe mark the mandrel and chuck so you can install the mandrel in the chuck the same way next time you use the mandrel.

As Phil mention, not sure what diameter your using but the smaller diameter mandrels are the toughest to keep straight. They are easily bent if drop or as mention above to much pressure from the tail stock.

I use a dial indicator to check the run-out on the mandrels. Before I shipped out the TK Mandrels I check for run-out in three location on the mandrel and each mandrel has .001 or less of run out when shipped.

Thomas, if you have any question or I can help in anyway just let me know.

Lynn Williams
wcrods@roadrunner.com

Posted by: Thomas R. Zack (---.62.36.69.in-addr.arpa)
Date: August 10, 2014 08:26PM

Using a 7/16 mandrel . But it only vibrates at certain times when I'm turning, almost like I'm pressing to hard or using a dull chisel. But even with a sharp gouge it will cut fine but when I move towards the center of the spindle you can see it flex and start vibrating
Does that make any sense?

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2014 12:55PM

Thomas,

I haven't heard of the 7/16" mandrel flexing, most of the time it's the 1/4" and 5/16" mandrels that will flex when to much pressure is applied.

If you want, email me with your phone # and a good time to call and I'll call, i would be glad to discuss this.

I apologize for the late reply, I've been out out of town.

Lynn Williams
wcrods@roadrunner.Com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 01:00PM by Lynn Williams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster