I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making Rods float?
Posted by: Jerry Powell (198.204.255.---)
Date: August 04, 2014 10:48AM

I lost a valuable rod over the side of my kayak yesterday. I had about twenty hours in it so it wasn't just the expense to also time. Use a leash when moving but not when actually using the rod. Is there any way to make these rods float? Something that could be put in or on them but not be in the way? Have seen the big bulkly foam floatation things from Bass Pro but would prefer not to go that route if possible. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making Rods float?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2014 11:04AM

We've done a couple articles in RodMaker on the subject of recovering rods lost overboard when kayak fishing. The latest one dealt with how to build a rod that will float. The tricky part is doing that without undermining the task that particular rod is required to perform. You can float any rod and reel out if you add enough volume to it, such as the "bulky foam floatation thing" from Bass Pro and others.

The good news is that it rarely requires that much additional volume to float most common freshwater outfits. In that most recent RodMaker article we showed how to figure the volume, and therefore the displacement, of a rod and reel outfit, against which you can then figure out exact how much additional volume you need to add to make it float. In some cases it's as simply as making your "no foregrip" rod with a foregrip, perhaps a bit longer than usual. Say, 5 inches instead of the common 2 inches or so. In this situation, it's not really there as a foregrip but as additional volume. Using grips that are a little bit larger in diameter than normal adds volume as well. The trick is to add volume within the parameters of keeping the rod a good tool for the fishing you do. It's a balancing act where you try to build the rod as light as possible and yet retain enough volume to float the rod. Of course, sometimes you simply have to add something you wouldn't otherwise want there to ensure it will float if lost overboard.

For your own information here are some figures to play with:

Immerse your rod and reel in a water filled container (tube-cylinder) and figure volume as: Height of water column x 3.14 x radius of water column squared.

You can weight your outfit easily enough.

A cubic inch of fresh water weighs .57 ounces.

From there you can figure how much additional volume is required to float your rod and reel outfit. The article has a great deal more depth and information but this should get you started.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: August 04, 2014 11:51AM

I know it's off topic but I was able to find two rods I lost after being hit by lightning in 2009 with an acu-view camera. We went back after two weeks. I knew the general area and we found them in about 10 minutes. They were in 15 foot of water and after seeing them I took a long telescoping crappie rig and brought them up.

Gabe

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 04, 2014 01:09PM

I once had a Shimano Clarus get pulled off my floattube and into the drink by a batray. It dragged it 50 yards before resting. The full length cork rear grip was buoyant enough that when the ray stopped the rod floated up to a foot under the surface where I could grab it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2014 07:39PM

The simple thing to do, is to make a leash that comes out the butt of the rod.
Then, any time that you use the rod, you slip the leash on your wrist so that you never lose your rod.

Much more simple and easier to implement, compared to a float for the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Shawn Grimm (130.76.64.---)
Date: August 06, 2014 02:02PM

I think there was something at the Fred Hall show this year in Long Beach that is an attachment that will float to the top after the rod sinks, allowing it to be retrieved. i fish out of a kayak as well and have lost gear overboard. Methods described above will help if it is merely dropped, but if a fishh is on the line, then the calculations are out teh window as you are trying to address more than just displacement. I see a lot of guys make a temporary connection point by zip-tying a bigger split ring to teh rod at some out-of-the-way point. I know that is after the fact, but I always go with "leash it or lose it" when I am out on the tupperware.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 11, 2014 10:08AM

Tom, any chance you could tell me the issues of Rodmaker with the article(s) on floating a rod?
I subscribe, but do not have an issue with such an article. I'd like to purchase the back issues, if they are still available.
Thanks,
Harry

Harry T. Bell

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 11, 2014 04:48PM

Hello Harry.

I only know of the one in 11-6 pg. 10-15.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster