I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double handed Surf Fly Blank
Posted by: Alfredo Sepulveda (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 06:25AM

I need advise, I am looking for a 11'-12' blank to build a double handed fly rod for the surf. This blank needs to handle 550-600 grain line.
The rod is going to be used only for overhead casting for blues and striped bass.
Thanks,
Al

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double handed Surf Fly Blank
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 07:59AM

TFO Deer Creek Switch

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 02:16PM

RB Meiser Switch rods will have choices in your grain window.

Other manufacturers can fit your requirement but make sure you get one that fits your grain window.

Terry

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2014 07:49AM

Richard,
Thanks for the shout-out.
Yes - those blanks are truly without peer and designed exactly for that purpose. Mike likes his with the discontinued AirFlo two-handed beach lines. I like to use mine with the new Sci Angler intermediate Skagit heads and the RIO Med 10' MOW tips. The loop to loop connections are so perfected now that they are hardly noticeable. Actually I welcome the very slight click of the loop-to-loop connection between the running line and the head to signal me to release the line.

One you did not see was my 12'0" that is perfect in the grain window Al wants. Shorter and lighter than the one you saw.

Al - I now have orders for two of those 12'0" blanks and 6 of the 12'9" blanks in my current bulk order with CTS. If you wish to hop on board my bulk order I pick-up the shipping from New Zealand. If you wish I can forward you the email of comments from this gentleman after he tested my personal 12'0" rod for a week. He is the one who ordered two. I also have a video of me casting the 12'0" on a Cape Cod beach so you can see the flex profile. But I am using a light(ish) line there (530 gr)

Regards,
Herb

PS - the 12'0" blank is $318 and the 12'9" is $388. Inclusive of duty/fees. Actual FedEx shipping costs are extra.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 08:04AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2014 01:27PM

Al,
BTW - You definitely do not want a 11'0" rod in the surf unless you are playing around on a nice day. I have 3-4 11 footers that are now taking up space in my rack. They will never see the light of day again. Minimum 12'0".

If you make your email visible - or send me your address I will upload a video showing the 12'0" rod in action. Maybe I can even find one with the 12'9"
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 01:29PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 04, 2014 04:08PM

Sorry if I mislead.

That price for the 120" blank is for a 2pc.
4 pc is + $48

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 04, 2014 04:08PM

Sorry if I mislead.

That price for the 120" blank is for a 2pc.
4 pc is + $48

Posted by: Alfredo Sepulveda (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2014 10:49AM

Thank you all for all the great information.
Herb please send me all the information you have for the 12'' blank 2pc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster