I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calling out the pros! need advice about up comming build!
Posted by: corey whiting (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 06:05PM

Before I begin this post let me first say that I am posting from a tiny mobile device, so bear with me and the auto correct.
I am an intermediate rod builder. I have built 11 fishing rods to date. My fishing rods have went from just bad to pretty darn good, thanks to the guy and gals in the rod building world being more than willing to share their knowledge. I am in need of help once again!
I have the most important build to date coming up. I am building a test rod for a guide service in beautiful Corpus Christi Texas. I can't screw it up because if Captain likes the one I build for him at cost, he will purchase more from me to keep on his boat.
What I need to be able to do is build a rod that meets all or most of his needs for right around 200 bucks.
He wants the rod to be between 7' 6" to 8'ft in length. Their target species are inshore Speckled Trout, Redfish, Black Drum, Flounder, and Sheephead. They primarily use spinning rods for the type of fishing they do, which is mostly thowing the drift socks out and casting a live shrimp under a popping float as far as it wil go ii tbe wind. He stated that he wants a slingshot rod blank that really get his bait out there. He also needs solid hook sets, and guides that will handle the Laguna Madre salt water and salt air. They also use braided line on their equipment. Anyhow this is easy for me to envision, and not so easy to put together. Can any of the rod builders on this forum tell me what products they would use if you were to build this rod? Any info I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Corey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calling out the pros! need advice about up comming build!
Posted by: John Martorano (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 06:34PM

I just wrapped some Fuji "K" style Alconite Guides on a 7 1/2 foot G Loomis Mahogany custom Blank. I am sure you cant get the blank anymore ( I bought some Loomis blanks from Mudhole before they ran out of the original G Loomis stuff ( not the Shimano stuff)) but the guides are angled as to not get wind knots from casting. They might be a good choice for your project. I posted 2 pics of them taped on the rod in the photo forum. HTH

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 06:36PM

Best blanks I use for that inshore fish are Mud Hole P904.

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 06:36PM

Best blanks I use for that inshore fish are Mud Hole P904.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 02, 2014 07:03PM

Mud Hole P904 hands down. you are putting these rods in a charter boat so upgrade your reel seat and guides to handle the salt and client abuse. if he wants cork consider burl cork turned down in a lathe in split grip style. Burl cork lasts a lot longer than natural cork and is way cooler than EVA foam.

Good luck and good build,

Buzz

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.natcky.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2014 07:17PM

I would definitely go with the Titanium alconites or Titanium Microwave guides if possible. The MHX blanks are gonna be your best bet. I absolutely love them and they are extremely affordable. I am not sure if this is too light of a rod but MB941-MHX is a model that might work (7'10" 10-17 and 1/4 to 1 oz) or if you want heavier FS904-MHX (7'6" 10-20 1/4-1 1/4 oz) might work. Just my two cents.
Ben Eipert

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2014 11:09PM

If you're leaning towards an 8', I'd consider the Castaway XP3 964P that Swampland sells.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 06:36PM

Titanium is the best for salt, but if your business plan needs less expensive guides, go with guides made from 316 stainless steel. All stainless is not the same, and if you cannot afford titanium, go with 316 SS. Amtak and Batsonenterprises offer guides made from 316. From my experience, if you are going titanium, Fujii or Alps are the best alloys, in my opinion. All titainium is not the same, either. I'm not sure what hook keeper is salt capable; I've had trouble since you can't find out what keepers are made of. The most reliable keeper may be a titanium fly snake guide from REC. Not that expensive, very insensitive to tangling, and surely salt capable.

For charter use and the charter abuse, I would not go with guides as high as the Fuji KLH, too easy for those tall guides to get knocked hard. I would use no taller guides than Y, and maybe even V. These rods are not going to be finesse rods, they are going to be workhorse rods, and durability will be a big priority. Design for it, and make sure the guide knows what decisions you made and why you made them.

You are talking about delivering rods for about $200, I think, and it will be very easy for you to get $100 in blank and components. Make sure every cent you are putting into these rods has a reason for being there. If I were building to deliver rods for $200 and I had $100 in parts, I would be working for well under minimum wage; I know, I'm slow. But keep it in mind.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 03, 2014 10:19PM

I echo what Michael Danek says 100%.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 10:28PM

Ya I would say for the rods he is asking for $200 isn't enough. I would say hes looking for a sucker to build the $400 rods hes buying for half price, but thats just me.

Date: August 03, 2014 11:20PM

To Micheal Denek, and everyone else that has responded to my post, thanks for your insight. Titanium guides do appear to be the way to go on this build. Does anyone have experience with Microwaves new line Tidalwave? The frame is Titanium, and rings can be made of Alconite, or Nanolite. The Pros at Mud Hole seem to like them, but I have my reservations about trying new things like that because there are gimmicks abound these days, and I fell for the whole Wavesp[n reel thing. It worked fine for one season , but this season I have had nothing but trouble with it in the Kayak. The Blanks that I am leaning toward are the MHX-l905 or MHX-I904 for the same price. The handles requested are straight cork." nothing fancy", Fuji comfort reel seats, and no custom wraps. I will be keeping it simple and old shcool.
Let me reiterate that the first rod that I build for him is going to be at my material cost not including shipping from here"Michigan" to Corpus. The first one will be be the Captains personal rod, and the following rods will be for clients. these one he will purchase from me at my retail price. The Charter company is owned by my family, and I worked with them helping out with the clients so I know they are not crooks, and very successful at what they do.
I would appreciate any feedback on the Tidalwave guides if you have experience with them. Thanks... Corey Whiting

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 04, 2014 02:36AM

I am sorry if I offended you because you have a good relationship with these fokes. By your first post it sounded as though you where trying to gain their buesnus and didn't already have it. That said if someone came to me and said I need what you listed. I would not say it would be $200 per rod. The rod you listed is closer to a $400 rod in my opinion, that is to make it the right way not the cheap way.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: August 05, 2014 09:15PM

For the cork handle, look at [customflygrips.com] They are burl, but very light and relatively easy to shape. They should hold up better than straight cork.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 07, 2014 06:36PM

We have several models as well. Like everyone stated, going Titanium are the best choice, but price also comes into a factor. As in terms for rods, We have plenty of inshore rod blanks to choose from. Our RainShadow RX6 SP843 is a great rod for the price. You can always go up from there!! Check out www.rainshadowrodblanks.com and all your components you can find at www.alpsforecast.com

Date: August 07, 2014 06:58PM

Thank you Mr. Batson, I will head right over to the your website. I know that Batson , and Alps products are top quality.

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.txr.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 12, 2014 05:58AM

I guide in rockport tx and every guide I know are tough on rods I'd build him ugly sticks you might be safe,alot of high sticking dropping them on the floor of boat on the rail of boat.when I builder them one thick walled blanks hold up better just my imput

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster