I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New giude concept for old Harnell rod
Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2014 05:27PM

I have an old Harnell surf rod that I am trying to bring back to life. The chocker guide is 43 1/2" from the tip. If I use six guides at 7" I will come up short, or can I just go to 7 1/4" which will bring me closer to what I want or should I just go to seven guides? The space between the butt guide and the next guide is 21". Is that too much space? I am using 3 guides: a 40, a 25, and a 16. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New giude concept for old Harnell rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2014 06:20PM

Choker guide location from the tip is of no concern - it is the distance from the reel that matters. The left over distance to the tip can be made up however works best for you, provided you have adequate stress distribution there. I'd say an extra 1/4 inch on each spacing is of no practical concern. Tape it up and try it. I think it'll be just fine.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 20, 2014 06:28PM

Bill I have an old Harnell rod dating from 1961. It is 134inches in length. The front of my reel seat spool is in the middle of reel seat.
I used a butt guide (1.5 inches outside diameter) (two footed Fuji Guide) and two single foot transition guides beyond the butt guide.

The butt guide is 26.5 inches from center of reel seat.
Center of reel seat to choke guide is 68.5 inches.
Choke guide to tip top is 41 inches. In addition to the butt guide I have two single foot transition guides and seven running guides in that interval including the choke guide. These are all single foot Fuji guides. I did this rebuild about 3 years ago. The first build had been "Cone of Flight" guide distributions with a butt guide of nearly 3.5 inch diameter.

I hope this helps.
Sincerely,

Mike Blomme

Date: July 20, 2014 07:11PM

Tom,
I measured the front of the reel spool and multiplied it by 27 and came up with 69 1/2" which left me with 43" I just thought that if I went over 7", I would be pushing it.

Michael,
This rod is practically the same as yours. It is 140" long and my butt guide is 25 1/2" from the center of the reel. The chocker guide is 69 1/2" from the center of the reel. This rod belonged to my brother, who passed away in 1970.
By the way, does anyone know where I can get a white rubber foregrip?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 20, 2014 08:09PM

I take it you are doing it spinning so read this
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2014 08:18PM

I don't think 7 inches between running guides is too much on a surf rod. And remember, you can always shift to a progressive spacing there as well. Load it up and see what it looks like.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 20, 2014 08:32PM

What about the Static Test ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 20, 2014 10:30PM

Hi Bill, You might go to Angler's Workshop or Mudhole who are both sponsors and have carried Hypalon grips in the past. Whether that carry white I'm not sure of. I wanted something different when I rebuilt the rod and put a cord grip both fore and aft. Good luck with the white Hypalon. Are you going to use the red and yellow thread colors?

Mike Blomme

Date: July 21, 2014 07:09PM

Tom and Bill,
I did read the article in the library and as soon as the three guides arrive, I'm going to do a static test.

Michael,
The yellow and red thread was toast 45 years ago. I do not build surf rods, believe it or not, I have 11 surf blanks in my stock. I'll be using a white eva foregrip, since I can't get a rubber one. Thank you all for your advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster