I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fly rod for tuna - guides???
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2014 07:16PM

I would like someone to show me a 16 wt. fly rod blank especially in 7'6" length. Never seen or even heard of one!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2014 07:51PM

Any rod will cast any line, at some distance. I have built many such fly rods on Back Bouncing blanks.

Date: July 10, 2014 07:56PM

The heaviest fly line that I know of being made is a 12 Wt.
The same for rod blanks.
None of these are made in a 7'6" blank.

I have made a number of 9' 12Wt. rods over the years and I don't believe this person knows what he is talking about. JMHO

do a search for your self and see if you can find a 16wt. line or rod of that length capable of handling such a non-existing line!!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 10, 2014 09:49PM

Come on Randy, think outside the box. You don't need to buy a blank that is labeled as a fly rod blank. You just need to know tippet class and grains needed to be cast. Depending on what that is plenty of hot shot, back bounce, and live bait blanks might work.

Figure about 600 grains for a 16 weight which equals 1 1/3rd ounces.....and maybe 30# class tippet assuming fish in the 40-100# range. Few seconds on the net will round up names selling a 16 wt. line. I'd imagine Herb has CTS providing the blank. Rest assured he knows what he is doing....even if this build is enough outside his normal knowledge base to bother with asking for advice here.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 10, 2014 10:13PM

Exactly. And this is where a custom rod builder can earn his or her keep.

Date: July 10, 2014 11:57PM

I believe 600 grains would be for a 10 to 12 wt. Not 16. Show me the 7'6" blank that will cast this!! You can make any type of rod out of any blank, but will it work, will it perform, will it do the job it was intended for?
I am using a 625 grain shooting (Skagit) head on a 14' spey rod designed for 8-9 wt. lines so I think you need to think a little more inside the box. Wouldn't hurt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 12:07AM by Randolph Ruwe.

Date: July 11, 2014 08:13AM

Yes, it will work, it will perform. It does the job. I sold dozens of them.

You just have to match everything up and remember, this type rod isn't required to cast very far. Fish are usually teased up and then a fly is presented to them.

Date: July 11, 2014 11:21AM

Tom, what blank, what line, and which tuna species?

Date: July 11, 2014 12:07PM

Yellowfin. Bluefin. Heavy Back Bouncing blanks, 2-piece models. Intended for lifting and pulling. Most fishermen I built for would employ the heaviest shooting head they could find, and often no more than 20 feet of it, connected to a fine spectra running line. Maximum casting distance is rarely more than 40 feet, as the fish are chummed or teased into range.

Date: July 11, 2014 12:31PM

Do they use a fly reel?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.11.---)
Date: July 11, 2014 01:46PM

They certainly use fly reels. Although they might have anti reverse and a gear ratio involved (but most don't use those types).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 11, 2014 01:59PM

Must be a hoot to watch!! I have caught 40# salmon on fly rods, 22# Steelhead, but it must be a long battle with a yellow fin or especially a blue fin. I wonder how many are brought to the gaff?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2014 07:43AM

Rod Specs:
CTS Revo Salt, 7'6", #16, 3pc, Custom blank.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2014 07:15PM

Donnie from Anglers Recourse says that Fuji is coming out with a new line of guides better suited for blue-water than anything they have now.
Herb

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster