I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fly rod for tuna - guides???
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2014 09:19AM

Hi guys,
Don't usually ask these kinds of questions - BUT - never did it before.

I am building a #16, 7'6" fly rod to be used for tuna and want to know the conventional wisdom for the runners.

The rod is very stiff - naturally - so not concerned about weight. As a matter of fact a little more weight may help casting.
Thought about ceramics for first time use for me. Worried about effect a snarl in running line might have on a SF running guide though. Double foot ceramics would be overkill and make it look very "un-flyrod(ish)".

Anyone out there done this before??
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod for tuna - guides???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2014 09:47AM

I would use double foot ceramic guides all the way out. High frame spinning style for the stripper and second guide, then low frame casting type from there on out. I've built dozens of big game fly rods for marling and tuna with this arrangement and they work very well.

Put a longer grip on the rod, incorporate a standard full wells with an additional 4 to 5 inch fat cigar type foregrip directly onto the front of the wells.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 09, 2014 10:51AM

The rod you describe will be a lifting tool, not a casting tool. The weight and the casting qualities of this rod would be minor considerations, since casts will be infrequent and short. Big ceramic guides with a roller tip would be sufficient for casting purposes and would much improve the rod's primary purpose - lifting.

Date: July 09, 2014 12:28PM

Understand all that re lifting - but - Roller tip-top on a fly rod??
herb

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2014 12:34PM

Phil, where do you find an up-side-down roller tip for a fly rod?

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: July 09, 2014 12:39PM

[www.mudhole.com]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: July 09, 2014 12:55PM

I found a roller tip-top by accident. It didn't specify use as a fly-rod guide. Tradition must occasionally yield to function.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 09, 2014 01:04PM

Try All American Roller Guides Upper left They have there Spiral roller guides The tip may work

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2014 02:09PM

This should work for you (if you really think you need one): [www.aftco.com]

Date: July 09, 2014 03:08PM

I am with Tom on this I don't see the need for rollers

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 09, 2014 04:48PM

Thanks all,
I will recommend the DF runners - Fuji Ti and SiC. I will go with a Fuji ceramic tip-top or a conventional fly tip-top. Most probably the Fuji.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Herb

Date: July 09, 2014 06:29PM

I know Herb has decided on what he wants to do, I just wanted to say that the AFTCO swivel tip would not work any better than any other roller on a fly rod. They would still be up-side-down.

Date: July 10, 2014 01:52PM

A swivel roller guide wouldn't work. A fixed roller guide would.

Date: July 10, 2014 02:34PM

Phil, just how do you propose to use it in an up-side-down position ? Especially for casting a fly line?

Date: July 10, 2014 03:25PM

Buy using this roller top
[www.aarollerguides.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 10, 2014 03:48PM

I doubt if it would work very well, for one thing it is too heavy, and for another the line would wear out heavily on the back cast I believe.

Date: July 10, 2014 03:55PM

The fly line does not care about the style of the tip-top, only the size of its opening. The tuna angler making short, infrequent casts to chummed fish won't care about the weight of the tip-top or its effect upon casting for distance. The fly angler lifting the tuna after it sounded for the third time will appreciate the roller tip-top. Fly fishing for tuna pushes fly fishing to its limits and often beyond. Anglers should be prepared to make exceptions to traditional fly-fishing tackle if bringing tuna to hand is a the goal - and there's no sense in releasing tuna. They will fight themselves to death on fly tackle.

Date: July 10, 2014 05:18PM

Phil do they even make one that would fit a fly rod tip? The heaviest rod blanks that I know of are rated for a 12 Wt. line. Not a very large tip dia.

Date: July 10, 2014 05:48PM

I would use ceramic guides myself I have several rods that the owner wants me to change the rollers to ceramics

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 10, 2014 06:57PM

Herb said he is building a 16 wt., 7'6" fly rod. If he can find a fly rod blank like this I don't doubt he can find a roller tip-top to fit it.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster