I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread color bleeding
Posted by: Robert Bried (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 12:21AM

I cannot seem to prevent the darker colored thread from bleeding into the lighter colors. I use color preserver but it still bleeds. How can I prevent this.

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread color bleeding
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 07, 2014 01:35AM

You need to close up the gaps between the threads to prevent bleed through. You do this by packing your overwrap threads and burnishing them with a burnishing tool, back of a teaspoon, or the equivalent. On your dark underwrap you can use 2-3 coats of color preserver, or just a thin coat of epoxy on the underwrap without CP, depending on the color you're looking for. What you want is a firm coating on the underwrap to lock the threads in place so you can pack and burnish your overwrap thread. Color preserver dries pretty quickly as you know, so if you just use CP you can probably just allow it to dry overnight. If you use a thin coat of epoxy finish (either with or without CP), make sure you allow it time to cure before you attempt your overwrap (2 days minimum) so that it's hard enough for you to be able to have the thread move easily when you pack it. Color preserver on your lighter thread won't help if your wraps aren't packed well.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 02:01AM

When you say "bleeding" do you mean show through, not actual bleeding or running of the color? Light colored thread is not opaque enough to prevent some show through or darkening from a darker layer below. Wetting the upper layer with either CP or epoxy does not make it more opaque. CP just preserves the color. An NCP thread helps as it has a chalk content to help make it colorfast and less translucent.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 07:42AM

Hi,

This is why I use metallic thread. The only metallic thread color that I can not use over a dark color is pearl. Works for me for many years. Now that being said, metallic thread can take a bit of getting use to. It is springy especially after you cut it at the end of a wrap, at the spool end. It also can be damaged while burnishing if burnished too hard as the color can be rubbed off. For me these are minimal problems.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster