I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clean cork grips
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 10:35AM

Im disapointed in the out come of some cork handles I applied. Im always getting a little glue or something else on them during application. This time I applied saran wrap. Every thing was fine but had to clean the small seams around the reel seat where it meets the cork. I wiped i the Rod Bond with a clean rag then wiped all with water around the cork etc. Of course the cork got wet and changed color. the next day no change on color. tried lite sanding but too much will screw up my grip. I found the same discoloration on composit cork as regular cork. Once you get anything on the cork it just absorbs the product. ??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clean cork grips
Date: July 07, 2014 10:46AM

Made a mistake , I read where Rod Bond could be cleaned with water Clean up with epoxies is better with alcohol.Dont know what I was thinking.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2014 11:35AM

Where did you read that RodBond could be cleaned off with water? Surely not on the jar?

The real trick is to get that bead of epoxy out of the joint before the mating pieces fully seat. A pipe cleaner, or even a corner of a folded paper towel can be used to pull that bead of adhesive out of that last bit of joint before the pieces are seated. This will eliminate at least some of the problem.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 12:13PM

after you apply the clear wrap on the clean cork use a hair dryer ah it will shrink down to a tight fit an keep the cork clean till you are finished the rod
this is only applyed to the handle after it is finished , this is only to keep it clean only cheep shrink tubing for a part time builders to cut cornners an keep the handles clean

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 12:48PM

Bill,
When gluing on a handle and completing a rod, stay on top of the rod build at all times.

If epoxy has not cured, alcohol will do a decent job of cleaning up the epoxy.

But once the epoxy has begun to cure, but has not set up completely, alcohol does not do a very good job of removing the partially cured glue.

Rather, Use XYLENE. Xylene, or Acetone is a much stronger solvent (also more toxic) so does a much better job of cleaning partially cured glue.

I keep a bunch of stiff tooth brushes on hand. As you clean up the grip and reel seat, use the tooth brush dipped in solvent to remove any trace of epoxy. Recheck every few minutes to be sure that more glue does not ooze out of the joints. As soon, as you notice any surplus glue, get on it right away to remove it with the solvent and tooth brush.

I have never found that wrapping part of the rod or reel seat or blank with tape or wrap to prevent the glue intrusion.

Just stay on top of it with a good stiff tooth brush and good strong solvent to keep the rod perfect.

Any time that you are using a solvent stronger than Alcohol, be sure to use it only with excellent ventilation. i.e. forced air, open windows, or outside, or a good venting system.

Be safe

Date: July 07, 2014 01:57PM

Thanks for all your help guys. Tom did my due diligence before posting I did read it I cant believe I did it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 07, 2014 05:14PM

You are using TOO much rod bond
You do not need much at all This Stuff is That Good

I put my rings on a threaded rod I also adjust them so each ring is AS LEVEL as can get with the next ring
When satisfied I run a mark along one side To mark them This will be sanded off

Three dabs on a ring Lay the next on and turn 6 - 7 turns Spreads the bond Then do the next

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 07, 2014 08:17PM

something i use for cleaning adhesive (before it sets) from joints between reel seats and grips - and from locknut threads - is a commom "pipe cleaner" with a drop or two of denatured alcohol on it. the pipe cleaner is a piece of light wire with a fuzzy material twisted in. they are usually used to clean the stems of tobacco pipes, but work very well for tight spot clean up jobs. they also bend into helpful shapes for reaching small spots!!

rog

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 08, 2014 01:14AM

Ditto the denatured Alcohol. Its all you need. Plus it drys really fast so you can just blow on the area you are cleaning to find out if you missed any epoxie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster