I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Bond
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 02:08PM

Can you bond metal to metal with Rod Bond? Called the Trondak U40 office .Person said he was quit sure you could but suggested I run it pas the RodBuilding Forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bond
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2014 02:15PM

Yes. I use it for a number of non-rodbuilding tasks.

Proper surface prep is key:

1. Clean
2. Degloss/Scour
3. Apply epoxy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 03:07PM

Bill,
Although rod bond will work, JB weld is the product when you need to bond metal:

[www.jbweld.com]

JB weld can be machined, threaded and turned down after it has cured. It literally becomes a metallic extension for the metal that has been fastened together.

Be safe

Date: July 03, 2014 03:24PM

JB Weld is a gap filling epoxy. It has certain applications, not necessarily metal to metal.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 03:50PM

I fixed a hole in a coffie pot years ago Wash- scoff- Rod bond Made coffee every day No leak
Untill i broke the pot on the side of the sink LOL
I was surprissed it held up But it did

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 03, 2014 03:57PM

For close fitting assemblies, you wouldn't use a gap filling adhesive like JB Weld, PC7, etc. You'd want a thin epoxy.

Epoxies come in various types and consistencies because they are intended to be used for specific type joinery tasks. One product can't do it all.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 04:06PM

If you can Test it too be sure it will work for what you need

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 04, 2014 08:14AM

I have use Marine Tex to bond metal to metal, it's a bit costly but seems to work well

Rich Kline CR

Date: July 04, 2014 08:51AM

Devcon 2-ton epoxy will work as well. It all comes down to the type assembly you're dealing with.

Posted by: jack black (172.242.166.---)
Date: July 06, 2014 02:55PM

Devcon is also great used as a rifle glass bedding compound in the recoil lug area. as Tom stated, JB weld is simply a gap filler. lots of people (including myself) have found that out the hard way. they should change the name from "weld" to " temporarily stick".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster