I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Too much sun!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2014 09:32PM

I know that many rod builders are great fishermen. When fishing be careful of the sun.
I just returned from the skin doctor after he treated me for several spots of sun damaged skin. Even though I had sun block and a hat on, I still received too much sun. After too many years in the sun growing up and the years of fishing have finally got to my skin.

The Dr. felt that the treatment would be successful., but be careful of the sun.

Be safe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too much sun!
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 03, 2014 12:17AM

Roger, I wholeheartedly agree.

Personally, I've had over 20 pre-cancerous lesions frozen off my face and ears, plus two minor surgeries to remove slices of skin on my nose where the nitrogen freezing didn't get the job done. I get a whole-body exam from my dermatologist annually. Roger is 100% correct; this is serious stuff, folks. Had my exam three weeks ago in the afternoon; doctor only froze four spots this time. Said he was glad the surgeries on my nose were successful, as he had to remove HALF of a patient's nose earlier that morning.

I go on long range boats every year out of San Diego. Always wear long sleeved high UPF fishing shirts, wide brimmed hats, and good sunglasses, of course. I'm also considering wearing fishing gloves for the sun protection this year, and they also keep you from getting cut by the Spectra backing we use. I became acquainted with Buffs last year after having one given to me by a Pelagic Gear rep. and wear them most of the time now; even gardening on sunny days. You can check them out on the Pelagic Gear website. The Buff brand also has a lot of different styles and colors on their website. Florida bonefish guides have used them for years.They provide almost total head/face protection, aren't hot to wear, don't fog my sunglasses even when it's 90 degrees, and you don't have to grease up with sunblock. They don't make much of a fashion statement, but neither does living without a nose.

Posted by: Frank Balas (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 08:49AM

I agree!
Also an annual trip to the Dermatoligest is now a must for me.
I hate waring a hat and almost never did. Not so now.

Posted by: jack black (172.242.166.---)
Date: July 03, 2014 01:57PM

my dr. told me if I ever show up again w/a sunburn I will have to find a new dr. my mother died of melanoma and I have had 2 second degree sunburns as a teen. that feeezing off stuff ain't fun.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 03:47PM

David,

What are buffs? Couldn't find them on the Pellagic website. They have something called a Sunshield, is that the same thing?

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 04:58PM

HAY

It is the 4th Go out and have the neighbors over - have a barbaque Get drunk - Enjoy

Stop complaining Or turn the air on and stay in the house Bla - Bla

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2014 05:24PM

Most fly shops stock Buffs, they have been around for years and are very flexible and work great.

Date: July 03, 2014 11:56PM

Steve,
Buffs are a brand name of the sunshield you see on the Pelagic website. Mine happens to be the blue fish camo one, and my brother has one of the dorado colored ones. We were using them for the first time, and both of us agreed that we wouldn't go without them. Just really good.

Bill,
I'm not going to bother to tell you what I really think of your post other than no one 's complaining and if you have something constructive to add, we'd all love to read it. You might start by reading the rules posted at the top of the Forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 12:00AM by David Sytsma.

Date: July 04, 2014 11:04AM

SORRY bout that
But in 90 degree muggy weather don't ya sweat a lot in them

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 04, 2014 06:43PM

Bill,

Apology accepted. To answer your question, no. The one I use from Pelagic doesn't make me sweat; oddly enough I think I am more cool wearing it than I would be without it as it seems to wick the sweat away so well. It's 82 today and I've spent 6 hours weeding in my garden with the Pelagic sunshield on. No problem with facial sweat. When I'm fishing way south down the Baja, sometimes the water temp is in the mid to upper 80's which makes the air even warmer (like last year) and I didn't have any problem at all. I don't recommend a product unless I've used it and it performs exceedingly well. This is one of those.

I have two types I use. The sunshield one from Pelagic, and a camoflage one from Buff that is treated with Insect Shield that I use when turkey hunting to keep the mosquitoes and ticks away. It works well for that, but I've had more trouble with my glasses fogging up with the Buff brand one than the Pelagic, and the Pelagic one is finished with stitching top and bottom, whereas the Buff one isn't. Looks like they made a tube of material about 100' long and just started cutting pieces off it. I'll be ordering another Sunshield from Pelagic next week.

Steve,

You might use the information I just provided to help you choose if so inclined. Not sure, but I think the Pelagic sunshield is cheaper than the Buff ones, too. Plus, I think they ship free. Not sure about the tax, but they might not charge that either unless you live in California.

Dave

Date: July 04, 2014 09:28PM

Was this Sun screen recommended buy your Doctor

Darn shame after a bad winter And now ya got to cover yourself up because of the hot sun

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 05, 2014 09:56AM

Thanks for the info David, I'll try one.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: July 05, 2014 11:07PM

Bill,
Oddly enough when I had my most recent exam, I mentioned a "buff" to him and he didn't know what it was. He's always been badgering me to wear clothing that has a high protection rating. Go figure. Not that many dermatologists in this town, either. Anyway, when I am done fishing, gardening, or whatever and I remove the Pelagic sunshield, I've never had any sunburn or tender areas. It's rated UPF50, which is about as high as you can go with clothing. And yeah, it was a bad winter. I'm still trying to get warm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster