I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Jig Blank Needed
Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (202.14.150.---)
Date: July 02, 2014 02:38AM

Getting into micro jigging (slow pitch jigging) and im wanting to build a personal rod but im having trouble finding the right blank. It needs to be light in power, ideally PE1-3 or 10-30lb and rated for jigs in the 35g-80g range with a mod or parabolic action, 6’ – 6’6” would be an ideal length, can do 5’6” however. 1 piece is preferred also.
We have a few off the shelf rods available that are all really light in power, these things bend to the butt but are far too light and really underpowered for my needs, plus don’t like the look of them! (google gomoku rod to have a look!).
I have with me a T-Russell TR-66 Super Snapper from matagi but it’s a little too light so im using that for the smaller jigs in areas with smaller fish.
I also have a Phenix Titan jigging TJX-602L but it’s a broom stick and a little heavy as the descriptions online rate it for 10-30lb, but the blank decal lists it as a 20-50lb blank. I feel this blank is more suited to 80g -160g jigs, the 40g min jig weight listed would barely flex the tip.
It’s a little too much so ideally I want to source something in between.

I have considered using a crankbait blank like the MHX ones and just cut it down but I am concerned about the durability of them fishing heavy drags with a lot of pressure.

Can anyone think of any other options I should look into?

Also if anyone can compare the phenix titan series to the megaladon series it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Jig Blank Needed
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.46.---)
Date: July 02, 2014 03:39AM

The Lightest Megalodon is PE 2-4 and is heavier again to the Titan L. It has a slightly faster action but under a lot of drag will still bend into the foregrip. It's an excellent blank but too heavy for your need. I agree on the Titan rating too, it's a light blank but I suspect slightly underrated at 30lb max. Both are excellent blanks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.226.---)
Date: July 04, 2014 08:25AM

Sounds like a fly blank is what you need. Probably won't find one in one piece, and you may have to cut one down if you really want one that short. I prefer rods like this to be about 7 feet for better hook sets and longer casts. The Amtac matrix blanks are nice for this and won't break the bank.

Posted by: Zai Kwan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: July 11, 2014 08:23PM

Think you can try vertical jigging blanks ..15-30lbs

Light weight yet strong ...test them
Buddy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster