I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12 ft Switch Rod
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 29, 2014 04:06PM

Building a 12 ft switch rod It would save me some time if someone has guide spacing recommendations just as a starting spot. Tom mentioned the distances of the stripping guides from the butt . Ive misplaced that info it would be helpful thankyou

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12 ft Switch Rod
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2014 04:40PM

A good starting point would be about 26 to 27 inches from the center of the reel foot, depending on the reel you are using. Tape the guides on and test cast until you get the right distance for the stripping guide.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2014 04:49PM

Bill,
You really have to do it from scratch (static load) especially with a switch rod. They can be all over the place.
Herb

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 29, 2014 05:35PM

I agree with you Herb and intend on doing so plus test casting just wanted a starting point . For a 7 wt line I was thinking of the guide closest to the reel being a 16 or do you think 20 ?

Date: June 29, 2014 05:51PM

A 16 or 20 either one would work just fine. I just finished an 11' switch rod for my self and the 16 works great. I am now working on 2 14' spey rods, again for myself and am starting with 20's for the stripper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 05:54PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Date: June 29, 2014 06:10PM

I don't know if this will help you, but on the 14' rods I am building the stripper guide is 133" from the tip.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2014 09:25AM

The stripping guide is more variable, depending on the angler. I usually hold the rod as I normally would for fishing, and reach forward to touch the blank. I'll locate the stripper at least 2 inches ahead of that mark. The idea is that you don't want the stripper to be too close so you run into it reaching for the line. This distance is around 30" for me. If I need to adjust spacing, I just don't go any closer to the reel seat than that mark, but a little longer is okay.

For a 12' switch rod, you'll probably use 12 guides. Switch and spey rods are designed for more torque and stress so there tend to be fewer guides than the "1 per foot plus 1" rule of thumb. To give you a place to start, put the first guide around 4" from the tip and increase by 1/2" for the first 5 guides or so, then spread out the remainder of the guides to the stripper, which you already have marked. Run a line through the guides and put a load on the blank to see how the line follows and adjust as needed.

Switch and spey rods have very different tapers. Some are mid flex, some are tip flex, some are very progressive all the way to the bottom. As Randy said, they are quite variable so you'll just have to figure it out if you don't have recommendations from the supplier.

Terry

Date: June 30, 2014 12:24PM

I am making a 14' Meiser 7-9 wt. and an ARE 14' 7-8 wt. On the Meiser blank I am using Struble red/orange agate guides with black nickel frames and black snake guides and tip/top. Going to use black frame SIC striper guides on the ARE and black snakes as well but with an SIC tip/top.

Date: June 30, 2014 04:33PM

Bill,
It sounds as though you are under the impression that you will be using a #7 line. TH'd rods mostly use grains to describe line weights. So if this is a #7 switch it most likely not load with a #7 line. You will probably need a line of 350gr-400gr. That is equivalent to a #12 line.
Herb

Date: June 30, 2014 04:34PM

Bill,
It sounds as though you are under the impression that you will be using a #7 line. TH'd rods mostly use grains to describe line weights. So if this is a #7 switch it most likely not load with a #7 line. You will probably need a line of 350gr-400gr. That is equivalent to a #12 line.
Herb

Posted by: Joe Hart (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2014 01:18PM

Which manufacturer's 12' blank are you building?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster