I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Something similar to Dan Craft's FT905-4?
Posted by: Troy Ketela (128.100.134.---)
Date: June 26, 2014 09:57AM

I built a rod on an FT905-4 blank back in the early-mid 2000's.
I hated it for years - couldn't cast it at all with 5 or 6wt lines on it.
Last year I had a thought and put a 7wt Rio ultra fast sinking line on it for my lake fishing. What a change - the rod came alive and I could cast the entire line. It became my go-to tool for deep water trout and I loved it.

Unfortunately, the rod was stolen along with other gear a few months ago. I contacted Dan, but he doesn't have any of these blanks lurking in his closet.

I'm looking for a replacement blank to build a similar rod now, but am stumped.

One possibility I was considering was an MHX906-4, which I know will not be as stiff, so I would line it with a 6wt sinking line.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Something similar to Dan Craft's FT905-4?
Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: June 26, 2014 10:52AM

Not even close. The MHx blanks have a significantly different taper.
Did you try Dan to see if the FT is still available? info@dancraftent.com
You could try a saltwater blank but I'm not sure it will be even close.
Your best bet might be a fast action spinning blank. My 4wt FT (ERN: 7.2, AA: 75) doesn't feel like any fly rod I've ever seen.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2014 11:37AM

The Dan Craft fly blanks were exceptionally tip oriented, very fast actions with powerful butt sections. They could handle a wide variety of line weights by casting the lighter weight lines off the tip, and then using the more powerful butt section to make them capable of using much heavier lines. For the average caster, many guys found the DC line ratings frustrating, until they learned to either upline or select down on the rod model. Not much else around like them, of which I'm aware.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 26, 2014 11:52AM

To get deep fast you might find a type VI shooting head with 20# mono running line is your best bet. The type of line best suited to your needs will determine he best blank to use.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 26, 2014 11:58AM

Another thought: The ultimate in fast-tip, powerful butt blanks has to be hot-shot blanks. I have not encountered any four-piece hot-shot blanks, but the two-piece 8'6" Rainshadow hot-shot blank fly rod I built has some extraordinary if narrow capabilities.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: June 26, 2014 12:50PM

Just checked - I have an MHx ST1022-2, 4-8lb spinning blank with ERN: 10.4 and AA:75.
The ST10281 (9 footer) might just work for you.

Posted by: tony ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 29, 2014 06:35PM

I have one built up gathering dust that I may be coaxed into parting with. Send me a message

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster