I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hard lessons - epoxy won't cure
Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.38.103-23.newsouth.net)
Date: June 25, 2014 11:36AM

So I've been working on a lightweight glass rod off and on for awhile now. Awhile back I finished the wraps with flexcoat another builder had given to me, it appears the epoxy was old and wouldn't cure or I didn't mix it correctly? To be sure I threw it away and started using flexcoat I had from another build. Had cleaned the wet wraps with alcohol to remove the uncured epoxy and re-wrapped with the newer epoxy, thought I was done with the rod but I took it from its tube last night and the epoxy for some wraps is soft? The wraps before seemed to have cured but at this point I am thinking some of the residue from the earlier old epoxy must have ruined the otherwise good second wrap. Is my only option removing the wraps and starting over? I am getting pretty frustrated here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hard lessons - epoxy won't cure
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2014 12:47PM

Tim,
With respect to your mixing of finish:

Do you mix it exactly 50:50 for part A and for part B?

Do you slowly mix it for at least 120 seconds or two minutes?

If you have answered yes to both of these questions, take the rod outside and let it sit in bright sunshine for 3 days.

See how the finish is; after curing in the sun. If there is even a hint of Alcohol left after your clean up and wrap, it could certainly affect the finish and make it soft.

Be safe

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-200.myvzw.com)
Date: June 25, 2014 01:57PM

Sorry you are having trouble.

This sounds like your finish is under mixed. A tacky finish is indicative of improper or insufficient mixing. Basically, mix it longer and more thoroughly. Scrape the walls of the cup and bottom but avoid introducing bubbles. The finish will appear marbled, then cloudy, then marbled again, and then clear, mix it until it is crystal clear.

There is a big difference between finish mixed 99% and finish mixed 100%. Always mix up equal portions and never measure less than 3 cc's of each part.

Once properly mixed you can pour it out on a paper plate covered in aluminum foil. This will extend the pot life and help get rid of bubbles.

Click the link below to watch our short video on mixing Flex Coat

[www.flexcoat.com]

As far as your rod, if you can scratch the finish off with your thumb nail then you will have to take off the finish and wraps and start over. If it doesn't scratch off, then put on another coat that is properly mixed. It will last 20 years instead of 100 years.

I hope this helps, let me know. You can always give us a call.

512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 25, 2014 02:31PM

John

I use your new UV finish And like it a lot I even can mix 1 or 1 1/2 s and have not had any problems with it drying I do also thin my finish LOL
Nice stuff

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 25, 2014 02:59PM

John, thanks for the advice on your product. An additional question, after I had corrected my error with the first coat - I had thought a well mixed well measured batch would correct the earlier tacky finish. So, I used another coat and I had thought this finish had hardened and actually put the rod back in its tube. Now later, getting ready to ship the rod its tacky? If I hadn't removed all of the earlier tacky finish would the residue leach through the better overcoat? Does Flex Coat have a shelf life? Appreciate your assistance.

Date: June 25, 2014 03:04PM

Tim,
You know the old saying - if you build a house on sand, don't expect it to stand up to the winter storm.

If you put another finish on a soft foundation, you still have a soft base under the top coat. Not a good way to go.

No, flex coat does not have a shelf live.

Be safe

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-200.myvzw.com)
Date: June 25, 2014 03:13PM

Roger beat me to it.

As far as leaching, no. A thoroughly mixed coat on top of a tacky coat will not have any leaching. However, Roger's point is true.

Flex Coat Company
www.flexcoat.com

Date: June 25, 2014 03:41PM

I had wiped the soft finish off with alcohol before applying the additional coat of finish, I didn't just put another coat on over the soft epoxy. However I think I may have missed enough that it ruined the next coat, maybe I should have just started over once I saw the finish wasn't curing to begin with? I'll need to do things differently with the next rod build.

Date: June 25, 2014 03:54PM

What kind of alcohole That may be the problem

have not tried it but maybe light heat and let it drip off Then whip with a paper towel

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 25, 2014 04:11PM

The very best solution for an uncured, soft or tacky finish is to cut everything off. Remove all applied finish and thread to the rods and start over.

Then you will have a solid foundation of the correct materials to build your new rod.

Be safe

Date: June 25, 2014 04:20PM

Like Roger said
And
Make sure you mix is measured WELL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 26, 2014 11:31AM

I removed all of the wraps on the tip section, underneath the epoxy was stick and soft. Not a job that I will ever do again. I measured and mixed accurately, wrapped rod tip again and this epoxy seems to be drying normally. Lesson learned. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Date: June 26, 2014 01:58PM

Tim,
Thanks much for the update.

Be safe

Posted by: Timothy O'Neill (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2014 09:24PM

This may sound foolish, however, I have been able salvage a few slightly sticky builds by placing them in a hot sunny car for a few hours.

Tim

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.sub-70-194-130.myvzw.com)
Date: June 28, 2014 01:00AM

Not to hijack the thread but will counting the amount of drops of each two part finish be as good as using a syringe? I kind of ruined my syringe so I've been using there plastic pipeps to count each drop. My finish is finishing tacky still though. Perhaps I'm rushing the mixing part? I usually mix it slowly but only about a minute.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-199.myvzw.com)
Date: June 30, 2014 11:17AM

Sid

I personally like the yorker caps on the bottles of Flex Coat. You can buy them separately or they come on the 4 oz. kit. Then you can squirt it out into our graduated mixing cups and never have to touch a syringe again. Our mixing cups are CHEAP, so don't think I am trying you up sale you. Its just so easy and, for me, the only way to go. ALWAYS MIX THOROUGHLY!!! Can't say that enough. Even if your equal portions are a bit off, it should still set up if mixed thoroughly. Watch our video on mixing Flex Coat, its short and to the point. Click the link below

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster