I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Impossible...
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.226.---)
Date: June 25, 2014 04:43PM

Roger, I think the issue is a trim band on the end of a main wrap, not one within the main wrap. For those on the end, the nail knot is probably the best way to go, the issue is getting it done neatly, securely, and then cutting the thread off. That was what I was addressing. If I'm misinterpreting what you are suggsting, please respond.

If we are discussing trim bands on the end, then I think Jason has the right idea. However, executing the cut off is not a piece of cake and will take lots of practice. And failures. Which is why I try to just keep cool, and do another. I think metallic threads are a little harder because they may not stretch as much as nylon, therefore they lack the elasticity to keep tight. One thing in our favor is that with A size thread and only 2 or three wraps, they are so tiny that our errors are not obvious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 25, 2014 06:38PM

Hello,

I agree with Russell that a nail-knot trim band is more difficult to do on a large diameter trolling or surf rod. Seems to me it doesn't lock down as tight as when done on a lighter blank. However, it can be done successfully if care is taken with the trimming process as mentioned above.

Also, if you have the patience and are doing a metallic trim band (nail knot), you could try applying a tiny drop of color preserver to the knot with a needle and let it dry prior to trimming. Be careful not to apply so much CP that it bleeds onto the blank or main wrap. If done right this will lock the knot solidly and keep it from unravelling.

Personally, for what you are describing with size A thread and a trolling blank, I would skip the nail knot entirely and just start a trim wrap the same as you did for the main wrap. Do 3-4 turns then insert your pull-through loop. Then do an additional 3-4 turns, pull the tag end through, and trim.

-chad

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 07:01PM by Chad Barlongo.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2014 07:41PM

I sent a short 1 page article to Tom over a year ago on how to make trim bands very simple. Perhaps he will put it in the library one day. In the mean time if someone wants a copy of the article, just e-mail me. I developed this method about 37 years ago, and is foo proof. You can do a single thread trim with it if you wish.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: June 25, 2014 07:53PM

Why put the trim band on after the wrap. Why not just start the wrap side by side the single thread trim and drop it before the 2nd turn?

Along the same lines of going from one color to the next with a trim of a 3rd color in the middle.

Posted by: Shawn Engel (190.107.140.---)
Date: June 26, 2014 12:18PM

On my trim bands and butt wrap I used size d. Also the trim bands were on the blank under the guides so I don't think the other way would work unless I underwrapped the whole guide and put the thread for the trim bands in that.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 26, 2014 01:51PM

Shawn,
it could be the sequence of wrapping.
Hard to wrap under a seated guide if you have average or larger hands.
Plan your work.
Measure out and do any underwraps first.
Then middle trim bands.
That helps you position the actual guide too(assuming its all been taped and tested before hand).
Now do CP .
I only trim after cp dries, it helps keep stuff in place, not like epoxy but enough so it does not go lose.
I then hit it with two coats of permagloss and wait a few days.
Then tack guides in place (i use tiny drop of hot melt under feet)
Wrap and cp.
then trim and burn stubbourn fuzzies.
Then for me its PG and/or epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 26, 2014 03:12PM

Adam has a good hold of it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.11.---)
Date: June 26, 2014 03:16PM

Shawn, there are many ways to go about it. When you said heavy trolling rods I might be thinking something different than you. On my trolling rods the guides (and guide wraps) are big/long enough that I don't need a trim band less than 5 turns wide. A 5 turn trim band can be started and stopped in the same way a long wrap can.....so no need for that nail knot method.

You can also tape a short section on thread to the blank....wrap over the end of it with you main guide wrap, cutting the extra off after 7 turns of the guide wrap.....finish the guide wrap....wrap a turn or two of the taped on trim band thread.....put in a pull through loop.....do a few more turns on the trim band....then pull it through and trim.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2014 08:07PM

Michael,
You did not carefully read my post.
I am speaking about trim bands at the end of the wrap.

As I said earlier, I put the ends of the trim band on the rod as well as many pull threads on the blank as there are trim colors. (I use a short piece of masking tape to take the trim color ends and thread pulls to the blank, on each side of the wrap.

I go ahead and wrap about 10-15 main thread wraps on the rod and guide. Then, I wrap the trim colors, one at a time. After finishing each trim color, I pull the tag end back under the main wrap. Then, repeat for any other trim bands.
When the trim bands are pulled tight, I trim the tag ends of the trim bands and then continue wrapping the guide or butt wrap.

The total finished look is a main thread wrap with trim color or colors on the end of the main thread. Each trim band will have 10-20 wraps of main thread over the tag ends and thus, never an issue with any trim bands ever coming loose.

Be safe

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster