I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

shakey head /drop shot blank
Posted by: john ratcliff (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2014 12:20PM

Hey guys need some help. I'm looking for some opinions on choosing a blank for a drop shot rig or shakey heads. I've been looking at a few options from Batson and liberty blanks. I'm not looking for an expensive rod blank. This is for me. I'm just looking for popular opinion on this one. If there is a blank outside of Batson let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shakey head /drop shot blank
Posted by: Rick Ballard (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 24, 2014 05:19PM

built a combo shakey head/drop shot on a batson rx7 822.5 blank. Works good for lighter shakey heads. Built one on a MHX mb941 for shakey head only and it rocks. I use it for deeper water for the leverage I get on it. I also cut 6" off the butt on it. It is a beast.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2014 05:32PM

In the MHX Rod Blank series there are several choices --- Shakey Head - SJ842-MHX or HM-SJ842-MHX --- Drop Shot - DS822-MHX or HM-DS822 and HM-DS8515-MHX *The MHX Hi-Mod Series is very sensitive and lightweight when it comes to finesse fishing.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.23.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 24, 2014 07:43PM

I use the 7' 10" MHX Mag Bass blank for all of my finesse baits. Light enough tip to cast small baits but still enough backbone to set the hook. Use it with spiral wrapped minimas and you can't go wrong. Just my 2 cents.
Ben Eipert

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2014 07:55PM

I would second the suggestion on the Rainshadow RX7 - 822.5. I have't built the RX 7 - 822.5; but I have put a bunch of RX8 - 822.5 & RX8- 822.5 + out the door and everyone loves them.

I can't slight the Mudhole blanks though. I just have not built one of their shaky head / drop-shot blanks.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: June 24, 2014 07:55PM

Hydra OSMB700ML - [hydrafishing.com]
Hydra SJ842-NG - [hydrafishing.com]
Hydra BT843DS-NG - [hydrafishing.com]

Your current RodMaker magazine also has a free shipping offer for any Hydra OS Series blanks.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Joel Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 24, 2014 08:11PM

I use mostly Batson and MHX blanks for my personal use but just finished a shakey head rod for myself on a Phenix MXS72-M. Absolutely amazing blank and extremely light. Used a Batson Textouch reel seat. Probably the best feeling soft plastic rod I have.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2014 09:31PM

Another line of blanks to look at are the bushido drop shop blanks DS69/4-10
6'9" Drop Shot 4-10 lb.
6'9"
4-10
1/8-1/2
Ex-Fast
Mag-Light
AlsoDS69/8-15
6'9" Drop Shot 8-15 lb.
6'9"
8-15
1/4-5/8
Ex-Fast
Mag-Med

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2014 10:44PM

I love my liberty blanks.

Posted by: john ratcliff (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2014 07:32AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: June 25, 2014 11:56AM

John,

I have built a number of Shakey Head - SJ842-MHX for that application for bass tourney anglers and the love that blank.

Buzz

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 25, 2014 07:54PM

I am guessing that you are only using finesse types of shakey heads. The guys here in the upper Ozarks are using MB844's on account of the rocks and timber. I just build myself an MHX HM-MB844 and have to honestly say that I am very impressed with it. I will also give a shout out to the Hydra OS blanks. I have one that I built for spybaiting earlier this year and have found that I use it quite often. The OS is nice and crisp, lighter than many out there blank for blank and a good value to boot. Call Bob at Mudhole or Alex at Hydra, both will get you set up right!!

Tom

Posted by: Lauri Honkasalo (---.elisa-mobile.fi)
Date: September 14, 2015 08:59AM

Hi guys

I'm looking for some drop shot blanks or blanks that are suitable for drop shotting.
This time some longer ones 7½ft' -8ft and 1/4-1oz
This is going for both boat and bank fishing situations.
Spesially cheaper ones are in my mind... this is going just to test some ideas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster