I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
lookin for a blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 21, 2014 01:42PM

Hay guys
I am looking for a 8'6 2 piece Catfish blank to handle 4 oz plus bait Used in a sand spike
Any ideas where to look
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lookin for a blank
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 21, 2014 08:21PM

Bill I have never seen an 8'6" blank two pieces. Checkout the Batson SW967 F. It is an 8 footer though. I have built two of those for one of my sons...great blanks. I got mine through Utmost Enterprises. You could put a 6 inch extension on one of those but then you would have uneven pieces.

Date: June 21, 2014 09:06PM

OK
Correct me if I am wrong - But - If the rod has to throw 4 oz lead and bait another say 2 oz i would think the rod should be able to thouw 6 to 8 oz Right
A sand spike is on the beach - So he wants to cast FARE
Since i can not build 8' 1 piece Small shop - and over a two piece would work They are made to fit WELL

I have had good reports on Hercules extending a 7'2 to 7'6 and was thinking of 7'8 for some Distance ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2014 09:09PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2014 10:31PM

Bill, it sounds like he needs a good surf rod. Not many 8.6" rod blanks are made to my knowledge that are two pc and will throw 6 to 8 oz. Why does it have to be that short? Just curious

Date: June 21, 2014 10:39PM

You know Randolph
I was thinking the same thing looking for rods and anything for 4 - 6 oz is 9 plus And most 10 ft
Got to talk and find out how he is getting the bait to the fish

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 21, 2014 11:34PM

Bill, you may call me Randy. ;>)

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 22, 2014 12:20AM

Two 8' 6" 2 piece blanks that are 6 ounce capable are the GOM3 (PE-10) and GOM GT (PE 12) made by Kilwell. They are used to plug for tuna and GT. Not sure your customer would want to pay $300 per blank. They are dual bias and twill in the handle, The tip section can be made with nano carbon. They are butt join blanks.

Edit:
From - The tip section does have continuous length nano tubes.
To - The tip section can be made with nano carbon.

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 05:00PM by Donald Becker.

Date: June 22, 2014 01:02AM

Don, please explain to me what a butt join blank is. Do you mean they need a handle like a uni-butt or what, I am not familiar with some of the newer terminology . Randy

Date: June 22, 2014 02:35AM

Hi Randy,

These have been around for a while. It could be something as simple as a blank with a 70/30 split. The tip section would have the male section of the ferrule while the handle would have the female section of the ferrule. There are basically two ways to build the rod.

The stronger way is to slide a reel seat from the butt fully onto the ferrule. In this manner, the reel seat reinforces the ferrule's female section. Next, the lower grip is slid up to the reel seat. The butt end of the handle is then cut to achieve the proper handle length. The bottom grip is then installed. The upper grip is installed on the tip section of the blank.

If you want to retain the full length of the blank, you will, as normal, determine the reel seat distance from the butt and install components from the butt end. In this case all three grips would be on the handle. Often, the upper grip top coincides with the top of the female section of the ferrule.

Hopefully the description can provide a visual of the tip section either fitting into the reel seat or the top of the upper grip.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2014 08:01AM

Hi Bill,

Here is a couple of possible blanks that may work for your catfish rod build, MHX Euro Catfish 9 foot 2 piece trimmed down to 8.6 ft or CRB Tuna Popping blank at 7.6 ft 2 piece than extend the handle 1 ft.

Maybe Mudhole or someone that has used these blanks can tell you if they would work. I checked out and bent some Euro Catfish blanks at the rod expo and I was impressed with the quality of them.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2014 09:57AM

I may have found the ideal blank. It is a Lamiglas Heavy jigging blank on clearance at Mudhole.

Length 8'6"

Pieces 2

Line Weight 20-50 lb.

Lure Weight 6-12 oz.

Butt OD .815

Tip Size 10

Color Clear Gloss

Date: June 22, 2014 01:16PM

Been building rods for 44 years now and I have never seen or heard of the method you are describing. What purpose does it serve.

Date: June 22, 2014 02:27PM

Butt Join

Prevents a flat section higher in the rod
Lowers the additional weight of the ferrule down into the handle (balance)
Places the ferrule into a stronger section of the blank
Reel seat reinforces the ferrule

Depending on the model, these blanks can have ratings of PE-10 or PE-12 and are used to pop for very big fish.

The follow link will show this type of rod in action for GT. Manufacturers unknown.

[gtfightclub.com]

Don Becker

Date: June 22, 2014 03:25PM

Don, I would like to see a picture of that type of blank before anything is done to it. Do you have a source of this blank?

Date: June 22, 2014 04:57PM

Hi Randy,

I have a few hats to keep me busy.

As a Lamiglas distributor and sales rep, the blank mentioned by David Miller may meet your need and cost less. There are basically two models.
NZ 102 2 XH 40 - 60 lbs
NZ 102 2 XXH 60 - 100 lbs
These do have a 50/50 split. The split was to enable taking them on airlines.

As a Kilwell distributor, I import and locally sell out riggers. Occasionally I will fill a request. As such, two of the GOM GT are on order for one person. I did speak with Kilwell to ensure that I did not provide misinformation.

Here's the correction:
The GOM blanks come with double bias graphite both tip and handle. They can be ordered with nano carbon tip sections.

What do you want to see in the pictures? Ferrule?

Don Becker

Date: June 22, 2014 06:27PM

Don, yes so I can see how the male tip section fits into the female butt section since I have never seen a blank like that unless it had a metal ferrule such as those on bamboo rods or rods with like the Feruulite Ferruls.

Date: June 22, 2014 08:27PM

Hi Randy,

These are typically the high end GT plugging rods used in Japan. I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days.

Don Becker

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2014 09:20PM

The recent issues of RodMaker have covered the history of ferrules. The latest edition covers offset ferrules.

Date: June 22, 2014 09:23PM

Thanks Don, I am just very curious as to how the ferrules are constructed since the tapers and dia. inside and out of the butt and tip are not designed to go together with an internal male ferrule on the tip section.

Date: June 22, 2014 11:36PM

Thanks Tom, I'll have to look for the article.

Randy, several rod blanks have a slight reverse taper that is not very visible. As I understand it, the reverse taper for the female section of the handle is built into the rod blank mandrel. The ferrule section of the handle has additional graphite fortification. This means that handle components are installed from the butt end of the handle. For the tip section, the ferrule is ground.

It is probable that you will not see the ferrule fit from pictures.

Don Becker

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster