I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concentric Alignment on 27x
Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.clt.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 18, 2014 11:23PM

Here's a quick question for y'all.

I've only built one rod and it was a 7ft ultralight for trout, set up as a bass rod, which is the type of rod I am used to fishing. Micro guides, 27x, EVA foam, whole nine yards. Everything went perfectly and it is easily the best rod I have ever fished (it fits like a glove, casts like a dream, and the blank is amazing.)

My only real issue during the build was setting sizing and placing the reduction train. I just could not get the bottom rings on the reduction train to match that of the choker. I tried using a yard stick, taping a piece of thread, etc. It was always "off." When I was ready to give up, I read the bottom of the article, which mentioned that the reduction train should look as a series of concentric circles or, a bulls eye.

So, what I ended up doing was setting up the butt guide per the 27x and then choosing and eyeballing the other guides to make sure they were concentric all the way up to the choker.

The rod casts like a dream, and from what I can tell, this method definitely did the trick. I'm getting ready to build two more spinning rods this week though so I want to know whether I will run into future issues by placing and sizing my reduction train in this fashion.

Thanks guys,

Carlos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concentric Alignment on 27x
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2014 07:10AM

The lighter and more supple the line the more forgiving any guide system is going to be. You shoot for one thing but sometimes have to fudge a bit and just get close. Because line is flexible, it doesn't always require absolute perfection in order to perform very well.

Sometime when you just want to learn a few things about guide systems, try setting some purposely awful configurations. Test cast them. You may be surprised to learn that almost anything will work to some degree. You just get things to work that much better as your guide set up gets closer and closer to optimum.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2014 09:45AM

Carlos,

You have the right equation for setting up the reduction guide train. Keep the "Bulls Eye" in mind and you won't be disappointed. Have you every tried the MicroWave guide System? I have found it to be killer on spinning rods.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: June 19, 2014 12:03PM

I agree fully with Don on the Micro Wave guide train. You will like the system and very easy to set up . Killer results.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: ken khoo (---.004.dsl.wa.iprimus.net.au)
Date: June 30, 2014 07:23PM

I second the "bull's eye". I just built a 10' rod using ngc placement but when I test cast I didn't get the distance I thought it ought to have. So after adjusting the reduction guides so that they are concentric I test cast and this time the distance improved markedly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster