I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod wrapping light.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2014 02:07PM

I had poster earlier under another post about a light that I had found at a local lumber store.

[www.menards.com]

It turns out that this light normally sells for about $50. My local store had this light on close out for $10. But they were out of stock. I did a search of all of the companies stores and found one 100 miles away and purchased it. Then, I called the store and asked them to ship it to me which they did today.

I have tested it out on the rod bench and I believe that this light is a winner.

The head of the light is 3 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inchs by 1/2 inch thick. The head contains 6 very bright leds in a circular array.

I very much like the fact that the head of the light is small, thin, and flat and parallel to the surface of the rod being wrapped. Its small size does not block the view of the wrapping.

The light is natural colored, very bright, and very uniform, and in contrast to other lights is cold to the touch. i.e. no burns from the hot light bulb.

With the swing arm design, it is easy to put the light exactly where needed.
I will continue to use my 3 lb coffee tin, to elevate the base of the light to give a larger range of adjustment to the light.

All in all, a $10 cool to the touch very bright LED lamp for wrapping rods.

I know that Jim had issues about led lights being too dim. This lamp is certainly bright enough for the most demanding user.

Just a good review.

Be safe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod wrapping light.
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 17, 2014 03:26PM

Thanks Roger. I'm going to look for my closest dealer right now!

Posted by: Pat Barnard (12.227.181.---)
Date: June 17, 2014 04:25PM

Roger,
I purchased the Prolite FTL200. I saw it at the show in NC in February but purchased one later on. Not pleaseed with the light output, the one at the show appeared to have more light, although the same light. It is LED as well and carried a price tag of $100.00. Appears you have hit the jackpot. Did notice the stores appear to be all in the North. Sounds like mine might go on the For Sale page.

Pat Barnard

Date: June 17, 2014 05:23PM

There is no Menards within a thousand miles of me. Found it online at Bonanza.com. Item number: Item #: 159472407. NOT an easy item to locate!

Date: June 17, 2014 06:55PM

Jim,
As I said, I believe that Menard's is closing out the item.

Menard's is a Wi. Company had most of the stores are in the upper midwest.

I did an on line search for a patriot 26 inch LED light and it will come up in the search engine. Generally speaking it seems that the on line price is around $50.

I did a recent check at Home Depot and found a 6 watt - Led swing arm light that should work well. It is about $60.

Good luck

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 17, 2014 08:10PM

One thing that I shoot for in a light is trying to match daylight or 5000K if possible. This will get you the best chance at seeing the colors as if they were viewed in nature daylight. If the output is under 5000K the light color will appear yellow and if it is more than 5000K the color will appear more blue.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2014 11:28PM

Is this it? [www.bonanza.com]

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 17, 2014 11:36PM

Office Depo an office Max has simmilar lights with the LEDs there could still be some old ones out there so look before you buy, these will not be on discount should be around $60 for the lamp an arms, & CLAMP PS it will have a pound light an no base it clamps on your table , work great, I have 2 I need all the light I can get
I a old with bad eye sight

William Sidney
AK

Date: June 18, 2014 12:37AM

Barry,
Yes, that is the light.
Be safe

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2014 06:33AM

Thank you for the follow up, Roger

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: June 18, 2014 09:12AM

Roger,

I like the price point per lumens, but what about the color at 3200? Seems a little low to me.

Date: June 18, 2014 09:36AM

Mine is on the way, so I guess I'll walk outside, pick my colors and wrap under 3200K :)

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 18, 2014 03:01PM

I just found five of the Patriot 26" LED lights at the Menards in South Haven, MI. They wouldn't transfer them from their store to the Kalamazoo, MI store I usually shop at, but the Manager of the Electrical Dept. in South Haven said she would Fedex me one. Cost of the light= $7.00. Fedex charge= $5.00. Seven bucks?? So I bought two. Total with shipping for two was $21 + tax. If anyone is interested, they still have three left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster