I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Record keeping
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 12:21PM

General Question....this is mainly for hobby builders and not those who build rods for a living.

Do you hobby builders keep detailed records for all the parts used on the rods you build? If so, how do you do it (spreadsheet, receipts in a book, hand ledger, memory like a steel trap)?

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Record keeping
Posted by: Shawn Engel (190.107.140.---)
Date: June 13, 2014 12:44PM

I'm just starting, but I think it would be benificial. That way if something breaks you don't have to measure you can just look in your book and see what size it is. Also if you built one that you love and lose it somehow you could replicate it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 12:45PM by Shawn Engel.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 01:38PM

Just a reminder. The following is in the Library:

"Rod Building Data Sheet" by John Repaci(XLS Format)

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: June 13, 2014 01:47PM

Loose leaf binder with page protectors
I have it divided into several sections.
repairs glass
repairs graphite
repairs cane

new build glass
new build graphite
new build cane

the new build pages include things like guides used (sometimes with a note as to where i bought from)reel seat used, grip length and style and guide spacing. thread colors and tipping and also if they were cp'ed and finish used.
the cane pages usually include the taper measurements, especially for new builds
the repairs always include notes such as if I had to scarf a section on cane etc
if it's a quick repair like a tip top or single guide replacement then it's just a note in the back.
in the back there are also customer notes like address(some get a Christmas card) and phone numbers and if there is a star by your name it probably means I don't want to deal with you again.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 04:44PM

I do a one page MS Word document specifying all components, guide spacing, epoxy and wrapping epoxy, CP if appropriate, used, with usually about 6 photos (set up text boxes in the document, then insert photos into them-makes formatting a piece of cake, which is a boon to Word users) of the different rod areas. I think the specifying of components/materials/guide spacing are valuable in that if anything fails, you know what it was. Also, will allow making another on the blank easier. Yes, know, the guide spacing might be off a little, but it tells you where to start. CCS numbers will allow building to either the same characteristics or a change from them more easily/accurately. For example, that favorite blank of yours, like a Loomis, may not be available any more, but if you can match the CCS, you have a good chance of building an equivalent rod. Big fan of keeping track like this. Just have to do it.

Since I'm a hobby builder who helps out local people with repairs now and then, I don't document repairs. If I were a pro, I think that would be advisable.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 04:55PM

I use 3+5 index cards i put down the Blank, guide spacing ,size, reel seat, thread color,ect I just do it for a hobby.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 05:31PM

I sent Tom a rod record that I made up about 35 years ago, maybe he can put it in the library. It has worked very well for me. If you don't keep records, one day someone will come to you and say "I want a rod just like the one you made for Joe Blow". If you don't remember what you made for Joe it will be hard to make one just like it.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 06:00PM

Steve, I e-mailed you a copy of the record I made up and use. Hope it is of help.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2014 06:05PM

There have been no less than 3 different data recording sheets published in the magazine in the last few years. If you're a subscriber, you may already have what you want.

Another thing we published was an article on making a "roll-out" pattern from cash register paper tape. This allows you to accurately mark every component on the rod, and where it lies. More of a template, but with all the other information on it as well. These small sections then roll up and store easily.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 06:08PM

Randolph,

Got it thanks. I've not been real good at keeping records, but have all of the parts invoices I've bought. I pretty much have it in my head but since I only build one rod at a time I can figure each one out. I'm planning on going back and compiling the details that I should have been more diligent about keeping track of. Thanks for the diagram, good stuff.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: jim jackson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 07:17PM

I occasionally get lazy, so I just rip the sticker off the seat, blank etc and tape into the notebook where I have my spacing and pattern notes etc. I also save receipts. Of course , excel spreadsheet would be the place enter all of this for the non-lazy. But if u save the tags and receipts u can always go back. Jim

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 12:20PM

Steve

I am a hobby rod builder and I keep detailed records on every rod i build just in case a rod needs repaired or someone wants a duplicate rod made. Info kept includes blank & component mfgr. & model, handle/reel seat info, thread(s) used. cp, finish, butt wrap info, inscription info. guide spacing, etc. These records have come in handy a couple of times. I would be happy to email my record sheets to you if you could use them. give me a shout if you want them!

Rog

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 10:46AM

I have an odd way of doing it that works for me.
I use the receipt roll from a cash register.

Lay it next to built rod and can mark where i placed guides what they were, grips etc.
Make notes as to thread and guide makes models etc and then roll it up to about 2 inches then squish it up flat and put a paper clip over it.
Write on outside things like Joes Bream Rod , so i can find it.
I use it as i have a few customers that keep asking for the same rod to be built and it just so much easier to roll out the paper tape next to the rod and get it all exactly the same again.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 03:54PM

Lou,
I like your idea!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 03:54PM

Lou,
I like your idea!

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 16, 2014 08:02AM

Roger,
the down side is its not searchable.
You have to know you are looking for Joes Bream Rod. Or SB843 etc.
Even a book is searchable to an extent.
Rolls and paperclips not so much.

There is a reason SQl is popular in businesses.
But this works for me. Once found the rebuild is trivial.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2014 11:25AM

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: June 16, 2014 01:25PM

Lou Auret Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an odd way of doing it that works for me.
> I use the receipt roll from a cash register.
>
> Lay it next to built rod and can mark where i
> placed guides what they were, grips etc.
> Make notes as to thread and guide makes models etc
> and then roll it up to about 2 inches then squish
> it up flat and put a paper clip over it.
> Write on outside things like Joes Bream Rod , so
> i can find it.
> I use it as i have a few customers that keep
> asking for the same rod to be built and it just so
> much easier to roll out the paper tape next to the
> rod and get it all exactly the same again.

Lou, I really like the simplicity of this approach. I was doing something like this with strips of paper taped together, but the simplicity of your cash register receipt paper roll never occurred to me. What a great idea! With the way I was doing it, the taped joints moving over time, I had to use a number of witness marks to make sure the taped-together layout accurately represents the original rod. I often find the numerous taped joints on a long trolling rod could add up to a 1/4" or more of inaccuracy when stored for long periods of time. The roll paper should be a lot more accurate.

I keep an electronic record (a searchable database/spreadsheet file) with all the pertinent info I want and I make a reference in the file to my paper storyboard of the build which essentially makes my paper storyboards also searchable. This is really handy for me when I am in negotiations with a new customer. Most of my customers are charter captains and they've seen or used my rods on someone else's boats. When I conference with them, I can pull out the blank in question and roll out the storyboard for them to look over.

When I do my storyboard, I carefully trace around all the componentry on the finished rod then make the notations. Think of a police chalk line around a body... I use colored markers to give the storyboard a taste of the finished rod. The customer sees the number and location of the guides, and I can bend and flex the blank to examine and discuss the action. This is a quick way to educate the customer about stress testing and guide distribution without having to take a lot of time to tape guides in place and finesse them around to explain a point. It paints the big picture very well for people who may be struggling to take in and imagine all the info and choices they are faced with. A few key components like grips, seats, and a few sample guides placed in location really seal the deal for most of my new customers. Of course, if they are looking for something new or different, that's a different approach.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 16, 2014 01:57PM

John,
if you want to use the cash register roll i sugges fine point ball point pen, minimal fading.
Gel ink blots on the rolls.
But yes its good for duplication purposes primarily.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: June 16, 2014 02:26PM

Lou thanks for the tip.

Have you tried markers like sharpies? I really like to do my storyboards in color, I guess it's the closet artist in me. I wonder if Dick Blick or another good artist supply house has something similar on a narrow roll if the register paper turns out not to be color fast.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster