I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cord wrap grip ??s
Posted by: Gene North (---.static.hvvc.us)
Date: June 12, 2014 02:26PM

I have seen cord wrapped grips on all types of rods but not fly rods. I was thinking about doing one. Is there some reason why it should not be attempted? Fly grips tend to get wet a lot. Is cord no good here? Seems like it would give a great grip surface but if I do this and there is a reason for not doing it I would have to go back and tear down the handle and re-do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cord wrap grip ??s
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 12, 2014 03:36PM

When I do cord grips I seal the cord It Will Add Weight to the rod And of corse a fly rod should be as light as possible - No
maybe make up a handle and see if you like the feel of it Before ya put it on a rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2014 04:02PM

A fly rod grip is not like a surf rod where you cast out, wait for something to bite your bait and maybe make a dozen casts a day. You are continually casting with a fly rod (depending on the fish you are after) and I don't think a cord grip would be very comfortable after a days fishing. A smooth cork or cork and wood grip won't leave you with blisters.

Date: June 12, 2014 04:08PM

Or even Eva have not tried eva yet But like the idea

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 12, 2014 10:44PM

Hello,

I've only done cord on surf rods. With the thin-diameter fly blanks, you will need to wrap multiple layers of cord in order to build up the grip. This may add some weight which may be of concern, but I agree that by wrapping a test blank, you'll know for sure if the grip is to your liking.

-chad

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 01:10AM by Chad Barlongo.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 12:31AM

CORK IS SMOOTH AN LIGHT , cord is HEAVEY ER an ruff to hold , if you want light an smoth use cork even EVA grips will make my hand sore after e days hard fishing so my bet is cork on fly rod's
if you do hard fishing all day

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2014 09:46AM

EVA has too much give to allow it to function well on a fly rod. That's why it fatigues the hand so badly after a day's fishing.

Date: June 13, 2014 09:56AM

Guess that is why there is cork and wood on fly rods

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 11:41AM

Yep!!

Date: June 13, 2014 02:49PM

i would also say it is personal preference to the feel of the rod
Some eva blocks are harder then hypolon and I would think as hard or harder then cork ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 06:25PM

As I only build fly rods, I thought I would chime in. As mentioned above, one wants the fly rod to be as light and comfortable as possible, again due to the many casts made while fishing.

Cord is not only bulky and heavy, it is rough to the hand, not fitting the "light & comfortable" mode ! And the lighter the rod, the more severe this becomes.

There are good reasons that cord grips are not very popular. If you want it as a novelty give it a try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 11:06AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 10:23AM

I wouldn't think a smoother cord would be any harder on the hands than a rattan grip. I would recess it on the grip like Emory suggested in his article in RodMaker.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 11:07AM

That may be why you do not see rattan grips anymore!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 07:08PM

I have an old Thomas & Edwards bamboo rod with a rattan grip that I don't use because it is very hard on the hand. I will not replace it though because the rod is valuable as a collector piece

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 07:11PM by Ken Preston.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster