I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying time for birch bark rings
Posted by: Richard McCluskey (---.lncswi.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: June 12, 2014 09:56AM

I made about 1000 birch bark rings for handles from live trees. My question is how long do you have to let them dry before gluing them up? I also made about 1000 rings from down and dead trees and they are not as easy to work with as the green rings. (Tree huggers don't despair, the land is being cleared)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying time for birch bark rings
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2014 11:13AM

In the original article which Antti Kymalainen wrote for the Volume 9 #2 issue of RodMaker, he suggested cutting and boring the rings from it as soon as possible and then immediately gluing up the grip. He stated that if you don't to do that right away, at least store the sheets in a dry place, laid flat, with weight on top of them so they don't curl as they dry.

So it appears that he didn't see the need to allow the bark to cure before building handle. As one of the first to use this material in custom rod handles and somebody who was/is obviously doing fine work with it, perhaps it's not necessary to wait long, if at all, before using the rings.

While I would tend to dry obviously wet cork for a couple weeks before using it, the above is from the article. I'm sure others that are working with birch bark will weigh in with their opinions.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 09:00PM

I've used rings, in as short as a week after harvesting. I store unused rings on a 1/4" all thread rod, with 1 1/4" fender washers and wingnuts on each end, compressing them.

Chris

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 07:21AM

If you look at folks that cut firewood, they generally wait about a year after cutting before burning.
I find that a years drying of the rings - with weight stored on the bark to keep it flat does an excellent job of making great non shrinking handles.

But if you glue it up green, the rings will almost certainly shrink.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 09:17AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Richard McCluskey (---.lncswi.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: June 16, 2014 12:32PM

Thanks for the help guys. I have an equal amount of rings made from live trees and down and dead trees so I think I'll make one out of green and one out of the dry and see what happens. After the green rings are turned into a grip and have some time to cure I'll report back. Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster