I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turning birch bark.
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 11, 2014 12:48PM

I am still learning woodturning and am turning a birch bark grip on a Central machinery floor lathe(Harbor Freight). I am having trouble with the bark separating as I turn using a jaw chuck and spindle. I would use a mandrel but need to know how to secure the workpiece to the steel mandrel(MudHole) without the piece slipping. Any help? Thanks

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turning birch bark.
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2014 07:33PM

Best thing would be to use the mandrels with the lock collar, spacers and nut. They are also available from Mudhole.

Ron Weber

Posted by: ray balmforth (101.161.245.---)
Date: June 12, 2014 01:23AM

G'day Harry

Not sure if this will help you but this is the way i have been doing them.I cut the rings out using a hole saw and you have a 6mm in the centre then.After cleaning them up i glue them together on a 6mm mandrel just as i would gluing cork rings.Make sure you use wax on the mandrell.I glue up about an inch worth at a time.When dry i give them a quick rough up on the lathe just enough so they are roughly round.I then take them off the mandrell and drill out the centre to 10mm.Then i transfer them to a 10mm mandrell and glue them up with cork,burl or whatever your choice of material is.Then i turn them all up and you have a grip.I have found with the 10mm mandrell it tends to flex less when turning and you also have less to ream out at the end.I am sure people have other ways but this has worked for me.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2014 01:47AM

Harry,

Put the blank onto the mandrel. Slip the one end of the mandrel threw the chuck run the chuck down so its just centering the mandrel but not holding it. Now push your tail stock up until its pushing the mandrel and blank up against the chuck. Lock in the tail stock and tighten the chuck. Now use the crank on the tail stock to really lock everything down. Now turn said handle. The other problem that might be going on is unshapened tools. I have alot more blow outs if my tools aren't sharp. Bought a PSI carbide turning tool and have never looked back.

Date: June 12, 2014 11:01AM

Thanks for the great info. What company/website/store did you purchase the psi tools from?

Date: June 12, 2014 02:44PM

Just tried to order a lock nut mandrel from Mudhole. Out of stock, so I'll get one later.
Currently I have it on a 3\8" threadsall, locked down with washers and wing nuts. I drilled a dimple on one end of the threadsall for the tailstock and I'll lock the other end into a drill chuck at the headstock.
Comments?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 12, 2014 03:43PM

I have turned a lot of eva and cork on my drill lath using tappered blank sections If too flexible I would glue anothe blank section into one Just make sure each piece is STREIGHT

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 09:53PM

This is the one I am using: [www.pennstateind.com] They also have great deals on chucks and other lathe accessories.

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: June 14, 2014 12:17AM

What works for me is to use urethane foam to glue the rings onto. They stay together much better this way for me.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 07:26AM

Try to use a mandrel that is as close as possible to the final size needed for the rod blank.
The larger the mandrel, the stiffer the mandrel.

If you find that you get too much flex with the length handle being turned, use shorter pieces, turn them and then glue them together, as posted by another writer. Better to have a non flexing mandrel, than a mandrel that is too small and flexes too much while turning.

Be safe

Date: June 14, 2014 11:52AM

Thanks, Roger

Date: June 14, 2014 11:55AM

best advice, Jimmy. Thanks

Date: June 14, 2014 11:56AM

I first used elmers woodglue. Now I'm trying Gorilla Glue. Seems to hold well so far

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster