I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dirty wraps
Posted by: Scott Kloosterman (50.36.242.---)
Date: June 10, 2014 09:43PM

Being a true hobby builder it can be some time ( in this case months ) between wrapping a rod and putting the finish on and if that rod(s) has sat in an unfinished basement collecting dust and cobwebs it(they) may need some cleaning. What should one use to clean the wraps before putting the finish on? I will be using a two part lite build epoxy if that matters.

Thank You All

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dirty wraps
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: June 10, 2014 09:52PM

I use masking tape wrapped around a couple of fingers with the sticky side out & just tap on the wraps not that I leave my work for any length of time .All I can say is that I pick up any fluff that's on the wraps

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 11, 2014 09:16AM

I agree with Barry. I've been using the masking tape trick for a couple of years now. Works really well. I always do this before applying finish; lots better than discovering a dust particle after the finish is on.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2014 12:54PM

Vacuum it first, then use blue painters tape, it doesn't leave a residue behind.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2014 03:03PM

If you are going to leave a wrapped rod for sometime b4 coating, cover it to reduce the dust. You still should clean b4 coating.

Posted by: Shawn Grimm (130.76.64.---)
Date: June 11, 2014 07:00PM

Wrap with plastic wrap before letting it sit. I know, too late now, but from here forward . . .

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 11, 2014 08:45PM

the bottom line is use some thing soft an lint free, I got my cloth from Wal Mart store in town ' CHEEP " SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 08:20AM

Buy a roll of 3 inch tubing.

[www.uline.com]

Virtually any fishing rod will fit into the 3 inch tube. Any time that a rod will not be worked on for a while, slip it into a length of tubing. This will prevent any dust from gathering on the rod.

Also, if you ship a rod, use the tubing to cover the rod when shipping to keep it clean as well as for a more professional appearance.

By the way, to clean dust from the rod, I just use blue painters tape and it works well to tack off the rod, without leaving any residue behind.

Do not use conventional masking tape, because there is too much adhesive on the tape and may leave residue behind.

Be safe

Posted by: Mike Dimino (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2014 10:41PM

I use a tack cloth that I bought from mudhole. But since you said that you wrap in an unfinished basement. Maybe you can mount a length of lets say 4" PVC in the rafters with a screw cap. This way when you call it a day you can slide the rod in the pipe and cap it. Then it will be clean when you get back to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster