I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Col's last rod
Posted by: ray balmforth (101.161.245.---)
Date: June 09, 2014 07:23PM

I would like to share a story regarding the last rod that Col Chaseling had started to build just before he passed away.I was talking to his son at the wake and he mentioned that his dad
had been building a rod for a fellow named Rod Churchward and if i knew him.Of course i knew Rod he is one of the SEARBs and travels down to our meets from QLD.
It seemed a bit strange for Col to be building a rod for a fellow builder so i went around to check it out and then it all became clear.
Col had been building a rod to send to Rod for the upcoming state of origin series.(rugby league) Col goes for NSW the blues and Rod a queenslander is a maroon.Now Rod has been
quite vocal and stirring the pot for a long time as they have won the last 8 series in a row and lets everyone know about it.So this rod was going to be all blue and sent up for a stir.
Col had built blue carbon fibre grips and used a blue reel seat and glued them all up and that was as far as he got he had been down in his shed working on it the night he passed away.
So i had been given the job of finishing off the rod.It was quite a tough build to do as i felt Col was always looking over my shoulder checking out my work and i was wondering if my work
was up to scratch.The brief was easy all the binding to be as blue as possible.So i did a metallic blue dragon scale and used blue variegated thread for the guides.I took it around for
Col's wife Sue and son to see and they were very happy with the result.The fellow SEARBs saw it at our last meet and put a bit of blue mojo on it before it was sent to Mr Churchward.
I told Rod he had to put it next to the tv during the first game and some thing must of worked as NSW won the game.It was as if Col was making a few tackles in the last couple of minutes
to keep the Qeenslanders out.This was a very emotional build for me as Col was very instrumental in getting me to start building then forming SEARBs and from that i have been lucky
to have met some fantastic builders who have helped me.I will put up some photos of the rod on the photo page.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Col's last rod
Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.kw.tx.cebridge.net)
Date: June 09, 2014 10:51PM

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne1.internode.on.net)
Date: June 09, 2014 11:00PM

Hi Ray,
I would like to thank Col and his family for such a wonderful gift. It struck me completely out of the blue, so as to speak. It is one of my treasured possessions. Ray you do not have to wonder, if your workmanship is up to scratch, because I can tell you, Col would be very pleased with the outcome. You did an excellent job, thank you very much. I can just imagine how emotional a job it would have been for you. If you think you were emotional, you should have seen the state of the bloke that took the rod out of the tube.
We lost a true gentleman, on that fateful day and we are the poorer for it. We can, however, carry on his love and legacy, by keeping the SEARBs going and encouraging young builders, to think outside of the box, as was once said to me by a very talented builder. It is my strongest thought that if Col wanted to be remembered for any two things, it would be his love of his family and rod building. If he has passed on that love, to anyone, he would be very happy with that. My compliments to those that have stepped up and assumed the roles that Col carried out so well. It was once said that, you are only gone when no one remembers you anymore, in that case, my friend, you will never be gone.
As requested, the Rod was beside the tv for the first game and will be for the next two. Thanks to the boys for the mojo applied, it seems that the combined effort just might work this year.
Regards Rod.
Mboro. Qld.
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (101.161.245.---)
Date: June 10, 2014 06:53PM

Rod myself and Col's family are so happy that you have been able to receive this rod.It was quite eerie walking into his building room and everything was just as he had left it when he walked out.I had been in there many times before but to go in without Col was a strange feeling.Col will always be remembered as he had many friends here on this forum and everywhere else.And if you see someone come out of nowhere to make a try saving tackle it will be Col.Glad you enjoyed the rod as i enjoyed doing the build.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 10, 2014 11:41PM

Great story, thanks for sharing. Of course I never met the Col, but he was a friendly, frequent, helpful, and frequent poster. I got to almost think I knew him personally. Wish I had.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 11, 2014 09:27AM

Ditto, Michael. I also wish I would have had the privilege to meet the man. He presented himself on this forum as the true gentleman that I'm sure he indeed was.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.46.---)
Date: June 12, 2014 07:44AM

Well done and a great story. Quite moving.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns6.way.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 12, 2014 06:46PM

Ray I just read your post and after seeing the rod at the last meeting I had to put it down. Like you said, it was like having Col looking over my shoulder and saying, "Jeez I taught him well didn't I." I know Rod Churchward cherishes the rod and will have it close by during the state of origin series. Your workmanship on the rod was outstanding. I agree with Rod, if we can carry on Cols legacy with the SEARBS we are remembering him in the way he would most appreciate.

Best Regards
Mark

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 09:26AM

RAy, great story and very nice of you to do this in honor of Col and for his family. Rod, congrats on talking enough smack that Col decided to spend countless hours to make a rod for you so you could always "hear" him talking smack back to you even when he wasn't around. PRetty funny story, and it's awesome to see the SEARBs are forming relationships and bonds with each other that go way beyond rodbuilding. There's more to these meets and gatherings than just learnign and sharing rodbuilding, and i'm happy to see that you guys found that out.

THanks for posting this, it means a lot to me to see people care. Good going Ray.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 13, 2014 11:22PM

Cheers Mark with blokes like you Col and Barry to name a few to mentor us newbies how could we possibly fail.I have been so priveledged to be able to rub shoulders with you blokes and everyone just wants to help each other out.What Col has started is such a great thing and we really need to keep it together even if it is 3 to 4 times a year.When i get into the new place next year it will be a whole lot better.

Billy thanks for taking the time to read and comment.I know you and Col chatted a bit and finally got to meet up.He was always talking about how nice everyone was to him at the expo and what a great bunch of blokes you all were.Funnily enough his son told me he was going to take him back to the expo next year as Col never stopped talking about it to him.It was going to be a thankyou for everything he had done for him as a dad.Sadly that won't happen now.You're right about there's more to the meets than just learning.The friendships formed are are life lasting.I know i can go anywhere there is a SEARBs member and get a fish in and have a good chat and be looked after.Best bunch of blokes truly.One day i may make it over to the expo and i will look you up and we can have a chat and a cold beer for Col.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 08:01PM

Col had a great time when he was at teh ICRBE....he was part of the "entourage" when I invited 30 people to dinner and every restuarant was jam packed and could barely hold 30 people total!! lol. I've made SO MANY friendships and have great relationships with teh guys I've met over the years with The NERBs. So many of the guys hang out and fish with each other, when one of us needs a hand it's good to know that we will band together and be there to help. The trick is to get a core group, adn to just keep pushing and coordinatiing the meet ups - people WILL show up, it will grow, and it'll be more reqarding seeing teh rods people are building after learning from you guys, than if you had built them yourself.

It's a shame Col didn't get teh opportunity to get back out here. Hopefully you will be able to somehow swing it, I'd love to have a beer and some apple pie moonshine in honor of Col.

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne4.internode.on.net)
Date: June 18, 2014 06:21PM

He who laughs last laughs loudest. Slick move Buddy, well done.
Regards, Rod.
Mboro. Qld.
Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: June 18, 2014 08:02PM

G'Day Rod We knew that Col's rod had magical powers .The day of the Cane Toads is over "Blues forever"

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne4.internode.on.net)
Date: June 19, 2014 06:08AM

Hi Baz,
Hi buddy hope you are well, when you say "The day" Is over, I take it you mean "The eight years" Looking forward to meeting up at the next SEARBs meet. Take care.
Regards, Rod.
Mboro. Qld.
Australia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster