I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod grip
Posted by: Cameron Cholewa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 06:01PM

Hello,

I have a silly question, at least silly to me. I'm going to be building a 9wt fly rod and I'm partial to the half wells style grip, but I know heavier fly rods usually utilize full wells. So I guess my question is, would it make a difference?- functionally? I'm sure it wouldn't, at least I think it wouldnt, but I'd rather have some feedback for my own peace of mind. It's funny because I've had a few people ask me questions akin to this and I've always said, "That's why it's *custom* rod building; you can try whatever you want."

Thanks all,
Cameron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod grip
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 06:18PM

IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED A fULL WELLS GRIP PUT ONE ON iF YOU DON'T LIKE IT pUT IT ON A LATH ( SUPPORTED WELL ) AND MAKE IT A HALF WELLS

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2014 06:27PM

Having the larger portion at the front of the grip is helpful to the human hand when using the larger, heavier rods. There is method to the madness here.

Bill has a good point - you can convert a full wells to a half wells, but not easily a half to a full wells.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 06:27PM

Good idea, Bill. A full wells grip also gives you something to hold on to when you hook a big lunker on your 9 wt.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Date: June 08, 2014 06:47PM

Hm, that's a pretty obvious solution... Turning it as a full first then changing if need be. I'm kind of short and have smaller hands and so the half had always been a bit more comfortable, but I'll give the full a try at first.

Thanks!

Date: June 08, 2014 06:49PM

*Adenddum*
Half, or cigar shape, have always been my preferred

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2014 07:02PM

A grip that arrives at a larger taper at the front actually allows you apply more effort with less hand fatigue.

Date: June 08, 2014 07:11PM

OOPS

IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED A fULL WELLS GRIP PUT ONE ON iF YOU DON'T LIKE IT pUT IT ON A LATH ( SUPPORTED WELL ) AND MAKE IT A HALF WELLS

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 07:25PM by bill boettcher.

Date: June 08, 2014 07:15PM

I have also seen on here a handle that looked like a baseball bat i think the handle portion was to a tip ???
That looked interesting ??
I would guess the only way to find out how they feel is to ( tape ) them on a blank and cast them

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 07:22PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 07:26PM

Bill,
You might be talking about the Gordon/Ritz grip.

Date: June 08, 2014 07:40PM

Spencer

Don't remember the name Just remember it looked a lot like a baseball bat That may be it
Which i would guess could be used in two ways
Guess it is all about how it fells in the hand and while casting

I remember a rod a customer wanted An UL brought me the blank
Guy walked in and i REALLY looked up His hands were LARGE I thought at least a 17 seat Then had trouble getting the seat So i painted a 16
I waited for ( it's too small ) Guy loved the rod I would have redone it and was very supprised ???
never know ---- I still think of it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 07:55PM

Angler's workshop has a really nice ergonomic fly rod grip called a "Maniform" grip. You should check them out. The shape keeps your wrist at a comfortable angle and the front is flattened for your thumb - which keeps the rod from 'turning over' when casting. Looks a little 'odd" - but works very well. Here's a link for you: [www.anglersworkshop.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 07:56PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 10:06PM

I say just put what ever grip you like on it. I have even put full wells grips on 3wts if thats what the customer/user prefers.

Posted by: Tim Denholm (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2014 01:42PM

IMHO a full wells is the only grip that makes sense with rods 8 weight and above. It much harder to load a heavier rod with your thumb closer to the blank. If you have smaller hands just turn down the grip to something like 3/4" at the center. I have fished 9 weights for years in the salt and when the wind comes up that full wells will pay big dividends in distance. The Ritz type grip is also a good one that you might consider.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2014 05:56PM

Good info here. The answer to your original question regarding functionality is Yes, it could make a difference. And let me add, worth pursuing.

There are a ton of fly rod grip styles which can make this decision daunting, and if you turn your own, many more variations compared to what is sold pre-made. If you're partial to the half wells grip shape as you stated, is it because you're most familiar with it? there's also the reverse half wells, often referred to as the Fenwick-style. I find this VERY comfortable on everything from my 4 weights through 8wt rods.

The Ritz-style is also very comfortable and i have something similar on a 6wt of mine tapering from smalish at the base of my palm to bigger at the front. And there are others.

You write you have smaller hands. The answer may simply be a SLIGHTLY smaller diameter version of a full wells/Fenwick/Ritz/etc.

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 05:57PM by eric zamora.

Date: June 11, 2014 06:43PM

Best thing to do
Is
tape or even finish all the guides on the rod grips are generally the same leangth
Then
Tape several shapped grips onto the rod
Run line and PLAY
Or
Build what 5 or 6 rods with different handles on them ???

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster