I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blistered guide and rod finish
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 08, 2014 03:59PM

A customer brought me a rod I build about 4 years ago. It is an RX7 blank by Batson. TM high build was used on the guides. He go some kind of solvent on the blank that hit a guide and melted the finish, ran down the blank blistering the rod finish/resin and stopped at the next guide slightly blistering the guide finish.

He said he had the rods in the garage.

Can anyone think of a product that would have this effect?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blistered guide and rod finish
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 04:23PM

Sounds like some form of acid or maybe even gasoline.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2014 04:31PM

Acetone could conceivably do it, but it tends to evaporate so quickly that damage is limited in scope.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 05:45PM

Brake fluid would do it.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 05:48PM

Extreme heat from being in a closed grage during the summer months. I wonce lent a coworker a Penn surf rod for the weekend one summer. He left it in the car the whole weekend, not useing it. Monday morning when he returned it, it was blistered and peeling likea bad sunburn. Its fine now after refinishing it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 10:13PM

I don't think it was a heat thing. I leave rods out in the garage all the time and it gets up to 119degrees here in Phoenix, AZ. Now I do admit long periods out in the heat can do ruin your finishes but I would say thats not until the 5-10 year mark depending on the finish type and how good you applied it. Also the heat really only makes the finish get brittle and break away. Not melt. I would agree that something got onto it some how. I would just clean it all off and redo the rod. Just warn him your not too sure on the rods integrity. A few fish will tell you if its gona hold up or not.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 11, 2014 11:44PM

I've already passed that word to him. It was bad enough that the finish, thread, and rod resin were mixed together.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster