I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tools needed for Newbie
Posted by: Chris Bumstead (162.210.36.---)
Date: June 06, 2014 12:34PM

I am getting ready to build my first rod. I have made a simple hand wrapper that I think will work well. Other than maybe some sandpaper and razor blades are there any special tools I should be looking at before getting underway? I don't want to get started and then have to stop and order some specialized tool or part that might be needed. Everything seems pretty simple but just want to make sure. Also how important is an electric dryer unit? I was planning to turn my rod by hand while the varnish dries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tools needed for Newbie
Posted by: Arthur Long (---.srvs.usps.gov)
Date: June 06, 2014 01:08PM

Some tools could be a necessity, some for convenience. It depends on what you want to do, for example if you have the time to sit and rotate a rod every half hour or so then a dryer is a convenience not a necessity. As for me I'm usually working on a couple of projects at the same time, so a dryer for me is a necessity. You'll get a lot of opinions on this subject.

Spend some, save some, give some away!!! :-)

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 06, 2014 02:01PM

Grind an old toothbrush handle into a triangular shape( smoothe with up to 600 grit) to make an awesom thread burnishing and packing tool.
Will not scratch your blank.
Will take off old epoxy.
Or pay a few dollars and buy one.
Either way i would want one.

Good light makes it easier too.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2014 02:18PM

I have been building rods since 1979 and one of the most useful tools that I now have and use is a set of reamers. The set that I have is made by Batson and I got mine from Utmost Enterprises. I used to use the hand reamers but it took too long to ream out a cork or eva handle. Now I simply chuck on of the reamers into a drill and ream away.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2014 02:20PM

I like to use a very fine tipped fly tying scissor to trim thread.

But a razor blade will work fine.

I also like to have a fine pick on hand. I make the pick from a 1/16th diameter rod that I have sharpened to a needle point.

Be sure to have some denatured alcohol on hand. Good for cleaning, and general use.

I like to make pull threads from 10 lb braided fishing line. I put a bead on the pull and have the total length of the pull about 4 inches long. The braided line slips out of the tight thread very easily and the bead makes the pull easy to find.

I like to have 1/8th and 1/4 inch wide masking tape on hand to take care of taping guides on the rod.

However, if you have wide tape, you can use a pair of scissors to cut off narrower widths for this work.

When, I start a thread, I clip off a piece of tape about 1/2 inch wide or so, to stick the thread to the blank, to keep the thread from slipping on start up.

Be safe

Posted by: Chris Bumstead (162.210.36.---)
Date: June 06, 2014 02:36PM

Thanks, these are many things I didn't think about.

Posted by: John Shear (199.19.250.---)
Date: June 06, 2014 03:16PM

Being in my 50's, I need help getting a close look at threads as I wrap to make sure they're packed tight with no gaps. The OptiVisor head magnifier is very helpful for that.
Instead of razor blades, I get a pack of 100 scalpel blades with handle (really cheap online) as recommended by one of the more experienced wise men here. MUCH sharper than razor blades.

John

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2014 01:22AM

I use razor blades just the double edged old school type, the ones you would use for deer hair bugs if your a fly tier. I will never used anything else. Denatured alcohol is another good one. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have that around. I actually won't start any gluing process with out having a paper towel in my lap and the cap popped on one of these bad boys. I don't like to use braided lines for my tag puller because alot of them have wax on them. I use coated steel wire for beading necklaces from the craft store. They hold up very well and won't leave a residue. As far as a thread packer you can just use your nail if you can stop every 5 wraps to make sure its tight. I would also recommend buying a box of small Dixie plastic cups (like the ones your ranch come in) for epoxies and glues. Also if you have an Asian market around go there and buy a pack of chop sticks for $5. You can break these in half and make a ton of stir sticks/ glue applicators.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2014 08:04AM

Small knitting needles make good burnishing tools, handle gluing epoxy can be mixed on a folded square of aluminum foil using popsicle sticks as the mixing tool. I mix my thread epoxy in a shot glass, use it straight from the glass for short duration jobs or pour it onto, again, a square of aluminum foil. I would also invest in a box of cheap latex gloves for working with denatured alcohol as it has a tendency to dry out you skin and you will end up with cracked skin on your finger tips, very annoying when wrapping thread.

Use plastic straws to blow on epoxied thread wraps to get rid of leftover bubbles from mixing or air escaping from the threads. Single edge razor blades are much safer than double edge, especially when you try to pick them up. You can cut your own widths of masking tape using an EXACTO knife, #11 blade or a single edge razor blade and a metal ruler. I think I built my first 20 rods using a cardboard box as a wrapper and hand turned the rod for drying while watching my favorite TV programs.

Experiment, sooner or later you will find items and methods are most efficient for the tasks you do. And have fun!

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 03:10PM

Chris:
Another thing that will be helpful is RodMaker magazine and if you don't already have one, the book by Tom Kirkman. There are also cd's available. In some areas of the country you can find gatherings of rod builders and you will learn quite a bit from attending them. John Bumstead

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 11:13PM

A light an Mag on a flexable arm is a great help, one of the office supply big box stores, should have what you need try to get the one with LED's work better for me more light an about the same price I need all the help with the light getting old ,

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster