I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Idea for a series of magazine articles
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: June 04, 2014 07:43AM

From time to time, I read posts here about rods that I have no experience with whatsoever. The post just below this one on centerpin rods is a good example. I'm not sure I'd recognize a centerpin rod if it were in front of me. I'm sure many of us might not know what a shaky head rod is, or a great lakes copper trolling rod either.

My idea would be a series of articles, something like "Anatomy of a Centerpin Rod" or "Anatomy of a Shaky Head Rod" where a recognized expert builder discusses how the rod is used, how the rod is designed to achieve the use.

I think this could be a valuable addition to the magazine, and for each issue, we could maybe do a "sticky post" on the forum here and discuss the article allowing us to ask questions or share our experiences. When the next issue comes out, the sticky posts could moved to the library and saved as a reference.

What do you guys think of my idea?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Idea for a series of magazine articles
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 07:51AM

Do you get the Rod builders magazine They should be in there
Plus you can probably find info with a Google search

Here is a lot of info on them:
[www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 07:56AM by bill boettcher.

Date: June 04, 2014 07:55AM

Post deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 08:22AM by John E Powell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 07:58AM

I thought you were looking for info

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 09:02AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: June 04, 2014 08:53AM

G'Day John I'm a bit like you only in a worst position living on the other end of the planet .I am sure that I would enjoy reading about the various rod types out there & where they might slot into one of our fishing styles down under .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: June 04, 2014 02:28PM

Good idea John,
The various bass technique specific rods could fill a couple of years magazines at an article per issue alone. That is just one species in freshwater. Now throw in saltwater, steelhead salmon, the rest of freshwater, trolling, etc

Buzz

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2014 03:25PM

I also agree John, we get customers every day calling because they have a customer wanting a rod built totally out of their knowledge of fishing. While the builds won't vary much in most conditions it often helps to understand what sets each and every type aside from the other.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2014 04:23PM

Uh... We've pretty much already done that. And Centrepin rods were featured not that long ago.

We've done Surf, Plugging, Stand Up, Offshore Trolling, numerous types of bass specific rods, Two Handed Fly Rods, Spey rods, Live Bait Rods, Great Lakes Trolling Rods, Walleye Rods, Musky Rods, Freshwater Trolling Rods, Micro Guide Rods, and on and on and on. Many of these articles were not penned by a single person, but by a panel of builders who specialize in that specific genre. Guess you guys just overlooked them.

About the only thing we haven't done is something on Ice Rods and that's upcoming.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 04:24PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uh... We've pretty much already done that. And
> Centrepin rods were featured not that long ago.
>
> We've done Surf, Plugging, Stand Up, Offshore
> Trolling, numerous types of bass specific rods,
> Two Handed Fly Rods, Spey rods, Live Bait Rods,
> Great Lakes Trolling Rods, Walleye Rods, Musky
> Rods, Freshwater Trolling Rods, Micro Guide Rods,
> and on and on and on. Many of these articles were
> not penned by a single person, but by a panel of
> builders who specialize in that specific genre.
> Guess you guys just overlooked them.
>
> About the only thing we haven't done is something
> on Ice Rods and that's upcoming.
>
> ............

I know I bought the CD with all those articles on it.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: June 04, 2014 04:55PM

The article on Center Pin rods was in Volume 14 issue 6.That same year you also had articles on Kite Rods and Spin-Fly Rods.

Date: June 05, 2014 08:20AM

I think there's some confusion over my suggestion so let me try to restate it.

My idea is pick selected articles from the magazine and as part of the article note that there will be a "sticky thread" on the forum where people can go to discuss the contents of the article. If I had a question about something I read, I could ask that question and others could answer. The idea is to build a discussion around an article to take the magazine article further than it can go by itself.

Once the thread has run it's course, it could be moved to the library for future reference. This would allow people, in the future, to review an article in their magazine and then review the whole thread and all the follow up information and discussion on the topic.

Date: June 05, 2014 09:14AM

The articles have already run so you're certainly free to have a go at it. But I think the fact that most of the forum participants don't take the magazine will lead to some fairly short lived discussions. This isn't a knock on your idea, just an explanation that many of the people here won't have the article to go by.

Date: June 05, 2014 09:22AM

Tom,

Knowing that you've written there is not as much crossover between the magazine participants and the forum participants as most people would expect, and also that the immediate upcoming articles have gone to press (there's at least a few months lead time for magazine articles) it's probably not something to try right away.

It seems like if you were to give the sticky post idea a try, it should be held off until a short message could be included as an addendum to a future magazine article.

Maybe you could pick one upcoming article a few months down the road and give it a try? it might help to generate some cross traffic; magazine readers might log into the forum to follow the discussion and forum goers might wonder what the magazine article is about and generate some subscription interest.

It might not work at all, but it seems like it could work if the idea was launched on a target topic of high general interest.

The idea is really common in communications nowadays. For instance, news stations might have the text and select photos from something they broadcast, and tell people they can follow a discussion thread online at their website. In this short-term style media, the thread usually gets followers for a few days until the next big topic starts.

Date: June 05, 2014 09:37AM

I'll look out ahead and list the next specific use rod article as it approaches publication.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster