I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dumb guy or good guy?
Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-130.myvzw.com)
Date: June 03, 2014 07:16PM

Just had a guy with a repair he could easily do himself(5 minutes). I told him what to do so he could do it. Would have been a $10 repair.I do this all the time. He took the rod with him to do the repair. Should I have not told him and done the repair or do what I did?Moral dilemma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dumb guy or good guy?
Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 07:38PM

I think Being fair with people will go a long way but .Is this your livelihood or your hobby ? Give the person the option of doing it them self or you would charge 10.00 dollars

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2014 08:00PM

Assuming he has to buy thread, finish, etc., he can't do the repair for $10. But I'm assuming we're talking about a guide wrap replacement. Beyond that there are some minor things folks can do for less than $10, but not much. The instant they have to buy a tube of glue or whatever, they're usually better off just leaving it with you.

And remember, without your instructions, he couldn't likely do it. Your knowledge and experience should be worth something. You don't get paid for what you do - you get paid for what you know.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 08:28PM

For 10.00 you should have just done it
How many rods has HE built ? And you
You also may have just lost a steady customer

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 08:29PM

I repair cars for a living and I certainly could tell people how to do it them selves (I'd like to see them try) but I get paid for my experience and diag skills . If its how you make your money take it. Period.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: June 03, 2014 08:32PM

And
10.00 is probably CHEAP for what you have to do

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 09:56PM

I think you should just do the repair, then you have another customer. Also to some people it's a burden to have to try to fix things themselves, even if they can do it. For ten bucks, you're doing them a favor.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2014 12:28AM

I must disagree with the above. I feel you have gained a loyal customer who now knows you can be trusted to do right by him. He can't be the only fisherman he knows, plus being human he is gonna brag about the repair he made himself to others thanks to you. You passed on ten dollars today, but if you can't make that up several times in shear profit from your good business decision/investment, well I don't think you would have lasted anyway.

Date: June 04, 2014 05:49AM

mike quinn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I must disagree with the above. I feel you have
> gained a loyal customer who now knows you can be
> trusted to do right by him. He can't be the only
> fisherman he knows, plus being human he is gonna
> brag about the repair he made himself to others
> thanks to you. You passed on ten dollars today,
> but if you can't make that up several times in
> shear profit from your good business
> decision/investment, well I don't think you would
> have lasted anyway.

This can go either way. How do you know the guy don't tell people I asked this guy to do something simple and quick and he could not be bothered?
Sure he can do it himself but does he really want to or does he have the time? He also does not get to experience your work so all he really knows is you give free advice. Some guys in my field do as stated above or make repairs for no charge and what becomes of it? You now have a client base that is used to not paying. Trust me I see it often.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 06:00AM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Date: June 04, 2014 07:46AM

i get emails all the time
A guy Google's up Rod Builders Then sends out mail I would like such a rod - how much
Now he opened a can of worms What do you want to pay High end rod Plain Jane Plus a lot more
Give them a starting price ( and I have been told I am Cheap ? ) i wait No answer I ask No answer
A real PAIN !!
And for a lousy $10.00

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 10:06AM

If you are in the business you need to think you can do the repair better than he can even if you tell him what to do.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 11:02AM

I guess I need to clarify a few things on the repair. The repair was merely gluing on a butt cap on a uplocking reel seat on a 20+ yr old sage rod. On any type of eye repair or tip I do not tell people how to do it. The client had said that he had not fly fished in 15 years and was only doing so because his son had arranged a fishing trip in Montana at the end of June. The rod probaly was not going to get used again for awhile. It also had on it a immaculate 1594 (left hand retrieve only) Plueger Medalist reel. Probaly not good business sense to not do it and charge, just could not do it in good concience.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 11:53AM

Dick,
Always a good idea.
Follow your conscience.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.81.---)
Date: June 04, 2014 05:13PM

Agree with Roger.

Date: June 04, 2014 06:01PM

Yep
he can use the money for gas for the trip

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 05, 2014 12:04AM

I really feel giving both options is best. I would say hey you can give me the rod and I can do the repair for $10 or if you have 5mins to spare I can tell you how to do it yourself. I ran into this alot when I was working on TV's for a living. The DLP TV's have a lamp in them that go out ever two or three years. I would always give them the price of that lamp and the option to do it themselfs or we could come out for $79.95. This way once they saw how easy it was they couldn't say well he never said it was that easy. And for the customer whos time was worth more then there money, they couldn't say I didn't think they where worth there time.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 05, 2014 01:14AM

I would have done it for nothing and I do a few a month for nothin. Its twice you see this person who you get to know and word of mouth is the best advertisment. When people say good things about you it sticks with them.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: June 05, 2014 06:21AM

I really think it matters what part of the country you are from. Where I am you give and inch they try to take a mile. Dennis I like your idea.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: June 05, 2014 08:22AM

I've had the exact same repair and faced the same question. I've told the customer "I can show you how to do it or since you are here and it's quick I can do it now." 9 times out of 10 I end up doing the job. I tell them to go out to the local coffee shop and come back with a coffee for me. I also tell them that this one is on the house but next time I'm charging you. Also I find it's a good time to look over their tackle and look for future or current problems or talk about the latest new rods and talk up a future sale.
In the end what did that job actually cost you? a couple of cents of epoxy and 10 min of time. You will hopefully get that back many times over.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2014 02:00AM

Hi Fred, Yea I know some people will try and take advantage of you but we here in Jersey will reach right down thier throth and make them awhere of it. In a nice way , of course!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster