I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacing pac bay drying motor- need help
Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 02:23AM

Hope someone can help,

I have a Pac Bay rod wrapper/dryer combo. I upgraded the headstock to the new and improved some time back to hold my rods with better grip for turning /drying. The drying motor runs slow at ~ 6 rpm so I decided to change out the drying motor with an 18 rpm, After I replaced it, I noticed that it runs at about the same speed? and to boot, the motor I replaced was a 36 rpm that came with the Pac Bay? Is there an issue with the headstock or the pulley wheel size? I want this headstock to dry at 18 rpm like my CRB 18 one does........Lil help for the novice here....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacing pac bay drying motor- need help
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 08:48AM

Dave,
Some pictures please.

Whenever I am doing configurations like this, I first take the motor by itself and put a piece of tape like a flag on it. Then, I plug in the motor to its power source and count the number of revolutions in a minute.

Now, take a look at any pulley and shaft configurations. i.e. if you don't use a single shaft with the dryer mounted on the end, the speed of the head stock will be the sum or difference of any pulley and shaft gear ratios in the system.

If you have two pulleys of the same size with a single shaft and belt connecting, the head stock will turn the same speed as the motor.

But, if you have any pulley diameter changes, or multiple shafts, your final head stock speed will the the motor speed X the gear ratio of the pulleys and head stock.

It sounds like you have a 1:4 gear ratio on your setup. But a picture with pulley dimensions will easily confirm these figures.

Be safe

Date: June 03, 2014 09:04AM

For example:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

This was one of the first wrapper heads that I made a long time ago, that has since been taken apart and the shafts used for other purposes.

The pulley sizes are something like this .

Motor pulley .75 inches. First belt shaft pulley - 2 inches. So, the first gear ratio will be 3:8 --- Or if you have a 100 rpm motor driving the first shaft the first shaft will be turning 37.4 rpm.

Now, the 2nd drive pulley is 1/2 inch so with the motor turning 100 rpm, the 2nd small pulley will be turning 37.5 rpm.
Now, the 2nd driven pulley is 4 inches. So, the gear ratio is 1:8 - i.e. for each turn of the drive pulley the large pulley shaft will turn 1/8th of a turn. Thus if we drive the 2nd shaft at 37.5 rpm, the final head stock shaft will be going at 4.7 rpm.

So, as you can see, if you have two reduction pulley systems, the final reduction will be equal to the product of the two reduction ratios.

Good luck

Date: June 03, 2014 09:51AM

Roger,

See attached photo. It is the pac bay wrapper and deluxe 3-jaw self-centering chuck. You can switch the single belt from wrap to dry. This is one of the more popular models that I got at the rod building show in NC many years ago....[www.mudhole.com].

Dave

Date: June 03, 2014 09:52AM

Dave,
I was just thinking again that a different thought on pulley ratios and the final head stock speed.

Simply put, the final speed is the product of all intervening gear ratios.

Lets suppose that you have two sets of pulleys each with a 1:2 ratio. i.e. a 1 inch pulley on the drive shaft and a 2 inch pulley on the driven shaft.

Now, if the motor was running at 100 rpm, the driven shaft would be turning at 50 rpm, due to the pulley ratio.

Then, if the 2nd pulley setup was also 2:1, the final shaft or head stock speed in your case would then be 25 rpm.

So, you now have a pulley ratio of 1/2 and a pulley ratio of 1/2.

Multiply the two together or 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4. So, the final pulley ratio will be 1:4.

i.e. a motor speed of 100 rpm / 4 = 25 rpm final shaft or head stock speed.

Thus the final shaft speed of any set of pulleys and gears will the the product, or will result when each ratio if multiplied by the next ratio to get the final shaft speed.

Be safe

Date: June 03, 2014 10:56AM

Dave,
When I looked at the pictures and played the video, it appears that in drying mode, that the rod is turning at about 10-12 rpm.
i.e. 1 turn every 6 seconds or 10 turns in 60 seconds.

It also appears that the pulley ratio of the drying motor to head stock shaft is roughly 4 to one. So, if the rod is turning at about 10 rpm, it means that the actual drying motor on this wrapper is actually turning about 36 or 40 rpm to have the rod dry at 10 rpm.

So, with a 4 to one speed ratio and you wish to have a drying speed of 18 rpm, you need to use a motor that is 18 X 4 or 62 rpm to get your desired shaft speed.

The other thing that you could do would be to put a larger pulley on the dryer motor and a longer belt to drive the head stock if you wanted a faster speed. I don't know if the current dryer mounting position has room for a larger pulley or not.

The other thing that you could do, would be to put a smaller pulley on the head stock shaft and use a shorter belt.

p.s.
I do agree that the use of a faster drying speed is an advantage at times.
This is why I use my power wrapper to apply finish. I generally apply finish at speeds from 0 to about 50 or 100 rpm. This allows the finish to get on the rod very quickly. But once the finish is in place and everything ready for long term drying, I like to slow it down to about 6 rpm for the final drying stages.

So, if this is your case, I might just suggest, that you do all of your finish application, and initial finish work using the wrapping motor on your wrapper. Then, when you wan tthe lolng term drying, just flip the belt at that time.
It is a pretty simple and quick thing to do, and may answer the needs that you have for a faster dryer motor. I think that most folks want a faster dryer motor, basically for finish application, and not necessarily for the long term drying of the finish.

Good luck

Date: June 03, 2014 09:31PM

Roger,

Thx for the info!

I have always put on the epoxy at high speed and then flipped over to dry mode, but at the slower speed, I am noticing that I am not getting even epoxy and I am getting peaks. I decided to try a buddy's faster speed at 18 and it worked well without issue. I just acquired the CRB at 18 rpm but wanted to convert my Pac Bay as well so i have 2 dryers. Don't know if they sell a 62 rpm motor at a good price so I may want to put smaller pulley on there.

Thx again!

Dave

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 10:11PM

The faster speed will allow you to put more finish on a wrap
A good thing to do is let it sit at that speed for maybe 1 - 2 hours

Or

Stop the turner and let the excess drip off Then wipe it off Do a 180 hand turn several times to be sure
Then start the slower turning

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 04, 2014 12:05PM

Here is a 50 rpm 24V DC motor that would work for you.
[www.amazon.com]

You can just use an inexpensive 24V dc power supply similer to this one to power the motor.

[www.amazon.com]

You will likely have to make a bushing for the motor so that the pulley fits properly on the motor, but that is simple to do.

This motor and power supply would give you a faster drying speed.

Be safe

Date: June 04, 2014 12:09PM

Here is a 60 rpm DC motor that would dry even faster.

[www.amazon.com]

This one uses a 12 volt dc power supply.

A simple 12 volt power supply like this one will work just fine to power the motor:

[www.amazon.com]

For either of these motors, if you want to use the existing switch on your wrapper to turn your dryer off and on, just wire a plug into the wiring for the current dryer motor. Plug the power supply into the plug and you now have the switch on the dryer switching the new motor on and off.

Be safe

Date: June 04, 2014 03:47PM

I just found a 60 RPM synchronous motor, similar style to what comes with wrapper. I will try it out and if its a no go, will do what you said.

Thx Again!

Date: June 04, 2014 05:03PM

Dave,
Just be sure that the motor is not a shaded pole motor.

Shaded pole motors work great in intermittent operation, but overheat in continuous operation.

Be safe

Date: June 17, 2014 04:16PM

Roger,

Got the 60 rpm motor and it works great! Thx again!

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster