I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC layout with a Penn 706Z
Posted by: Rich Boland (66.170.252.---)
Date: June 02, 2014 11:10AM

Has anyone built a NGC rod using this reel? I'm having a really tough time laying this one out because of the size of the reel.
The spool face diameter is 2 15/16". That puts the choke guide 79.3" down the rod. That seems excessively long to me. I'm building on a Lamiglas GSB120-1L so that basically leaves a little over a foot for running guides. Also, it puts a size 30 KWAG stripping guide about 36" from the reel. That, too, seems excessive.
I appreciate in advance any help a fellow board member can provide. I'm sure I'll figure it all out once I do the static and casting tests, but still... it just looks odd to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC layout with a Penn 706Z
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 02, 2014 11:23AM

Sounds like you are using 27X. Try the Table Edge Method. Penn's are notorious for having almost no angle but it may move the stripper in enough to create a good set up.

Date: June 02, 2014 11:49AM

Thank you, Jim. i'll give that a shot.
It's funny... there DOES seem to be a nice angle on this reel. It just has a taller spool. The spool is also much thinner than any other spool I own. It's more she shape of a tuna can than a coke can.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2014 02:13PM

What size line are you using?

Date: June 02, 2014 03:58PM

30# braid

Date: June 02, 2014 04:30PM

Braid is pretty supple so you have some leeway in regards to how close you place the choker guide. However, don't go by "how it looks," go by how it works.

Date: June 02, 2014 04:40PM

I know. It's just that it's SO far away from the reel. And so is the stripping guide. I was thinking of using a size 40 as a stripper, but I think that ring size is going to give me the opposite problem.

Date: June 02, 2014 04:41PM

and thank you for all of your responses/advice.

Date: June 02, 2014 05:14PM

With braid you can pull the choker guide closer, which also serves to reduce the required size/height of the butt guide. Move it up several inches, reset, and go cast it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 01:38PM

Does the precise 79.3" guide placement apply for any pound-test line, and for gelf-spun braid, nylon monofilament of all stiffness and fluorocarbon too, or only to rods with spool diameters of two and fifteen sixteenths inches?

Date: June 03, 2014 04:18PM

The 27X factor will give you a rod that will work exceptionally well with any line, reel, etc. That was the whole point of developing it. It works very, very well with about anything, regardless.

If you know going in that you're going to be using only a specific line type and size, you may be able to tweak the choker location to get a little more distance. Of course, if you do that your rod is now going to be a bit less versatile in regard to reel and line changes. But some know they're only going to be using one outfit with it.

Generally, the lighter and more supple the line, the closer the choker guide can be. The heavier and/or less supple the line, the choker guide needs to be a little further out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2014 05:19PM

What about changing the Reel ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 04, 2014 11:07AM

The 706Z is an outstanding reel. I don't plan on changing it.
The interesting thing about the 27X method is that it is an estimate (a good one) for where the line should cross the blank. It doesn't, however, take into account the actual angle of the spool's spindle. It assumes that all reels are approximately within a few degrees angle from each other. The 706Z, though, has a particularly large spool face which I think means I shouldn't use the 27X method.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 12:02PM

I have done it both ways several times and either 27X or taking the spool off and lining up the spindle with a straight edge and they came out the same ??
Try taking the spool off and see if you get the same maybe cause of the large spool face it will be different

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 04, 2014 05:13PM

The angle of the spool's spindle doesn't matter - spool upsweep turns out to be a non-issue. That's why I developed 27X - it's based on spool diameter, which does play a major role in casting.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2014 10:30PM

When I built a surf sur1266 with the 704z I used a 40mm but was using 17lbs running with 30lbs shock leader I can get you the lay out if you need it.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2014 10:31PM

When I built a surf sur1266 with the 704z I used a 40mm but was using 17lbs running with 30lbs shock leader I can get you the lay out if you need it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster