I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Close Call
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.direcpc.com)
Date: May 31, 2014 10:25AM

Good Morning all,
a little warning for those who use alcohol bubble blasters.
While flaming wraps with my bubble blaster (little plastic squeeze bottle w/ a brass nozzle & wick) i nearly burned down the house. Evidently the seal at the top of the bottle wasn't tight enough and vapors leaked around the cap.
Sides of bottle caught on fire while in my hand. burnt my finger tips but was able to blow out the flames on my way to the bathroom to drop the thing on the toilet to put it out. Have some minor burns on the finger tips but i am glad i didn't drop it in the rod room cuz that would have been a game changer.
Immediately emptied it and threw it in the trash.

any suggestions on a better system, don't want anything like that back in the house.

comments are appreciated.

off to work to spend the rest of the day typing on a computer with burnt finger tips....Ouch! LOL

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Close Call
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 11:33AM

Right after applying the epoxy, (ProKote Lite Build), I use my heat gun to release any bubble from the wraps. "Put it on low heat and hold my hand behind the wrap and wave the heat gun back and forth to gauge the amount of heat being applied to the wrap. I them use my brush and collect any epoxy that starts to run down to the bottom of the wrap. Works great on wraps and the decals that have been epoxied.

I used to use the Bubble Blaster, but found it was had to control the heat being applied to the wraps. It sits on the shelf now a days.

Glad to hear you survived your ordeal, without to much damage!!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 11:51AM

That is why I like the thin finish 2 - 3 coats is better then burning the house down LOL
Plus the heat gun - no open flame

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 11:53AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 01:09PM

I have only ever used the heat gun, and it works perfectly.

I wouldn't use anything else.

No need to ever thin the finish, as long as you have got some heat to help on the job.

Good luck

Posted by: David Barrett (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 31, 2014 06:29PM

I use a lighter that has a long stem and small flame. It is one of those lighters you start a fire in the fireplace. Press the trigger and it lights release and it goes out

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.direcpc.com)
Date: May 31, 2014 07:41PM

I will look into a heat gun. I used the stick lighters before i bought the alcohol blaster. they tend to put soot into the epoxy if you are not extremely careful.
Fingertips are gonna be ok. Feels like a sunburn, but not blistered.
On the bright side, i finished the rod today and tomorrow i will go out and try to learn to cast a fly rod. yipee!

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 10:02PM

Although I don't use this, several other builders that I know, do use these butane lighters.
The advantage of these lighters is that they burn clean with 0 smoke. Instant on and off.

[www.bugstores.com]

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2014 08:44AM

Rather than a "heat gun" go to a craft store and look for an embossing heat tool. they put out less heat than a conventional heat gun but still provide adequate air flow to help break the surface tension of the epoxy. Keep it 6 (or more) inches away as any heat source can create micro bubbles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster