I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

special build request
Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: May 30, 2014 05:13PM

I have been approached to build a 12-13 ft fly rod in a 5-7 wt., the customer is very specific in some of his wants. He wants the lightest rod possible with a conventional fly handle, he wants an 8 in grip and a 1 in. detachable fighting butt. Suggestions on the reel seat, blank and eyes would be helpful. Right now I am thinking about minima eyes in #12,#10 and finish with #5s. He wants to use it on local streams and roll cast short accurate casts for trout and smallies. He has not talked price so it is open, I also turn all my own grips in cork or wood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: special build request
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 05:46PM

It does not sound like this guy Knows What He Wants
Short casts the rod is Too long Not needed
A 5 or 7 wt make up your mind
Trout rod way too long
Roll casts ya are going to need a FAST action blank to carry the line Rods too long

The Short casts is what gets me ???? I would think a 9 ft 5 wt fast action St Croix SCIV blank

Maybe a Salmon / steal-head spin blank ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2014 06:11PM

Does he intend this to be a two-handed casting affair?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 06:25PM

Good point
how far does he want to cast

You said Short Casts ???? i would ask using a fly LINE or is he using it as a spinning rod ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 06:28PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 07:01PM

Yep, a little specificity in what he wants to do would help getting and giving advice.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 07:24PM

I think Bill B. is correct. If I were you I would get paid 100% for rod before delivery because it will be an abomination to cast and fish.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 30, 2014 09:59PM

Sam,
Sounds like a multiple nymph rig.
French or Czech nymphing.
Long rod with short cast for tight line, sight fishing.
Very specific requirements. The added length keeps more line off the water and allows better contact with the fly leader rig.
Look for a 6 weight. He can overline 1 line size easily with the short line.
Med- fast action, graphite
Use single foot #1 light wire titanium for the running guides.
Use 1 less guide than normal.
What area is he fishing ?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 10:35PM

Eugene,
You may be correct. But 12-13' is very long for a nymphing rod
Herb

Date: May 31, 2014 08:51AM

He intends to use it as a single handed rod and use the length to reach out across our small brushy steams in NE Iowa.

Date: May 31, 2014 09:53AM

So he's "dappling" with it. In that case you might be better off using something other than a fly blank. The lightest thing you can find in that length.

Date: May 31, 2014 11:55AM

Tom, I believe that is the technique he is trying to vision, our steams here in the driftless area consist of small brushy, very clear spring creeks. I am considering a salmon or steelhead blank rated for throwing 3/8 oz weight, that will convert to a 6 wt fly line and he will probably be using a 6 wt spey line on it.

Date: May 31, 2014 02:26PM

Could be a good choice. I think you're on the right path.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 02:38PM

Try a 13' Noodle Rod blank. Try convincing him that a longer rear grip and foregrip will work much better. with an 8" grip and just a fighting butt, the rod is going to be un-wieldy and very tip heavy. Very tiring for a days fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster