I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Could somebody help me with guide spacing?
Posted by: Shawn Engel (190.107.140.---)
Date: May 30, 2014 01:20PM

I'm new to this and am going to refurbish a couple old fiberglass trolling rods. I did not measure before taking all of the old guides off and painting the blanks (dumb I know) and so now I'm at square one. I'm planning on putting a roller stripper and a roller top on them and regular boat guides in between not sure what sizes I need either? The reels will be Penn Senator 4/0 and 6/0. Actually I may put all regular guides on the 4/0 and skip the rollers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Could somebody help me with guide spacing?
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 02:32PM

Shawn,

Static load the rod for spacing in between the stripper & tip guides. If it looks good to you; you're probably good to go!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 02:48PM

Date: May 30, 2014 03:11PM

Thanks, I was looking at one of the other old rods similar to one I stripped and there is 1 roller guide 3 regular guides and a roller top. I've read some things that say 1 guide per foot plus one and the top, these rods are like 6 ft or 6'6 that would be 7 guides and a top? Maybe what I read is not suited for big game trolling rods?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2014 04:12PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 04:44PM

Maybe the original spacing stunk:)

Seriously, read the articles, search posts, and do the static load testing. The first time or two will take a little time/effort. Afterwards it will be fast and painless. Then you will never need advice on guide spacing and will always know you have the best possible setup. Powerful stuff!

BTW, try it on a lighter rod first. Easier to see on a lighter rod and those old boat rods almost didn't care where you put the guides. Be still, you will do much better than the original setup.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 30, 2014 05:33PM

Shawn,
What's the distance from reel seat to tip top.
What's the diameter of the tip.
How many guides do you wish to use ?
I can provide you some starting points based on number of guides.

Gene Moore

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 06:08PM

Shawn,
If you are using roller guide and tip and are using tall boat guides you don't need much more than about 4 or 5 guides on this rod.

Basically put guides on the rod where you think that they should be.

Put on the reel of choice, thread it through the guides that are taped in place. and put a really good bend on the rod, by pressing the tip on the floor in the direction that the rod will be bending during the fight of a fish.

Then, have the line tightened, so that you can see how the line is flowing down the rod. If you have enough guides and in the correct location, the line will not be touching the rod, and the line will be following the contour of the bent blank.

If you find that
a. either the line touches the rod or
b. the line doesn't follow the bend of the rod, then either change the location of the guide or guides or add one or more guide as needed.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 06:17PM

To Start
One guide per foot
then static test Add or Delete as needed
Jim gave you good advice

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 04, 2014 01:26PM

Eugene Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shawn,
> What's the distance from reel seat to tip top.
> What's the diameter of the tip.
> How many guides do you wish to use ?
> I can provide you some starting points based on
> number of guides.
>
> Gene Moore

.294 is the tip diameter, from reel seat to tip is going to be roughly 50 1/2 inches the grip will be 4 inches or that's what I plan on ordering.

Date: June 04, 2014 01:41PM

I'm also not sure what sized guides to get. Might use up to 80 lb mono on it. Top will have a size 12 ring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 05:33PM by Shawn Engel.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.mrqt.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 04, 2014 05:45PM

Shawn,

Looks like 4 guides is sufficient

Distance in inches from tip
7.3, , 15.5, , 25.0, , 35.7

Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster