I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork finish
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 04:26PM

I like turniing my own cork handles and have tried several different ways to finish them off. 1) no finish at all, the cork responds well to this and it really dosen't have to be finished and only cleaned off once in a while.; 2) Cork Seal is a good product but it darkens the cork by several shades; 3) Tru oil is also a good product but darkens the cork siginificantly.

I've made a set of grips that have a green tinit in the cork. I'd like to find a finish that adds a bit of gloss to the grips but doesn't darken the final look or make it slick. Things that come to mind are the Urethane products. How do these look on cork. I will do some tests to see what I like but I wanted to know if anyone has a favorite that doesn't darken the cork.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2014 04:28PM

Thompson's Water Seal is another product you might look at. Doesn't really darken the cork much, but won't give you any gloss either.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 04:31PM

Thanks Tom, the gloss isn't really important, but I want the green tint in the cork to look green and with the products that darken the final finish, I find that it tends to subdue the color.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2014 04:41PM

You might like the Thompson's.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 08:12PM

just remember that the green color is not in the cork it is on the outside of the small sections of cork so it will fade from wear from what I have seen SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 11:19PM

Urethane products will also darken the cork, well I can't say all but the ones I have tried do. Poly and marine is what I have used and both of them darken the cork. I think it gives it an antique look. Also the grips do feel smoother after adding the coating but I wouldn't say its slick. Infact I would actually argue that it grips even better then plain cork when your hands are wet. It seems to almost make your hands stick to the handle. I also have a grip on the bench that I don't want to darken that much so I haven't added any finish to it. I think I may go to the hardware store and pick up some of that thompsons and give it a whirl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster