I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Limits to ring guides on heavy rods
Posted by: Kevin Kindregan (---.info)
Date: May 29, 2014 09:15AM

At what point on stand up tuna rods would you go to rollers and not use regular ceramic ringed guides? I have to build a couple of fifty pound rods and want them light and simple and bulletproof but wonder if at this point I should move to rollers and would some of the better ceramics still be okay. Probably going to be holding at least twenty to twenty five pounds of drag on the reel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Limits to ring guides on heavy rods
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 01:51PM

I have used a roller first guide and roller tip with SIC boat guides in between. Works well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 01:56PM

You can also spiral wrap with Fuji HB and HN with SIN rings

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: May 29, 2014 04:27PM

I'm pretty sure that Fuji once made special trolling rod guides for rods up to 130 thru Unlimited. American Tackle still makes some pretty stout ceramic guides for offshore rods. So really see no reason why you would need to worry about anything on a 50 pound set up.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 07:40PM

I think it is a personal thing. I put my line in the sand around the 50-80# class. That number figures in what we used to set drags at (25% of actual line strength) and how fast/hard the fish runs. I'm more inclined to go with a roller guide if I feel I'm undergunned for the fish I'm after. If I know I'm looking at several hundered yard long runs on light line (for the fish in question) I want to reduce any friction I can. I do feel well maintained roller guides do just that.

On the other hand roller guides do bring some drawbacks. More chances for moving parts to go wrong...more lever arm to twist the blank...higher initail cost...etc. Guides have come a long ways and I wouldn't feel I "needed" roller guides on a 50# outfit...honestly even back then. But if I was after 1,000 pound tuna on 50# gear and looking at fights of several hours then I would go with them.

So my answers is....well it depends:) If you put my feet to the fire.....spiral wrap and use SIC ringed guides because you want light and bullet proof.....unless you are after line class records.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 30, 2014 10:43AM

I've got ringed SiC on most of my 50# rods, Fuji Alconites on the others, and never had any problems. The rods are really light and do a fine job on the fish. The only rods I have been using rollers on were trolling sticksand a couple of heavy bottom rods in the 80# + class.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster