I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2 piece rod blanks?
Posted by: Tim J Kelly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: May 30, 2014 05:09PM

The only problem with the one I have now, apart form breaking 2" off the tip, is that it's one piece. I'm looking for a two piece rod similar to it for travelling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 05:18PM

Not for nothing
But
It has been said here many times That a one piece and a 2 piece in the hand a fisherman ( blindfolded ) will be hard to tell the difference

But also you may have to got though several blanks before you find the one that Really Suites You

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 30, 2014 05:20PM

That's what I'm trying to do Bill! :) Problem being the Atlantic is getting in the way between me and anyone who sells them!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 06:43PM

Try going to bas masters ans try to find out what the pro's are using

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 07:29PM

Tim,

Have you looked at the Seeker line of 2-piece freshwater rods? I think they're S-glass. Depending on the lure weight you want to throw, you may have to trim the tip.

jeremy

Date: May 30, 2014 11:56PM

I looked on their website, and on Mudhole and couldn't find any 2 piece freshwater rods, though some of the rods in their catalogue looked perfect except for being 1 piece.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 09:25AM

Tim,

The blanks I'm seeing are not labeled as 'bass' or 'crankbait'. They are labeled as 'two piece freshwater spinning rod blanks' in Mudhole's catalog. On Mudhole's website, they're called 'S Glass Trout'. They may be a touch lighter than what you're looking for. You can trim the tip to get the blank to throw heavier lures but I don't know if the power in the butt section will be there. They also list a Mag Taper two-piece.

You're obviously going to have to think outside the box on this. It doesn't appear that what you want is available. As a guy that builds 95% musky rods, I run into this all the time. There is hardly anything on the market for musky blanks.

[www.mudhole.com]

jeremy

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 09:32AM

If you use the search function here you'll see that many do use of have used popping rod blanks for crankbaits, and other presentations while bass fishing. They were probably the first easily found blanks, longer than 7ft., that fit the bill nicely. I didn't mention them right away as you said you had used an inshore blank before and was not happy with the results, and they don't feel similar to your S-glass rod.
I use the Rainshadow 1 piece blanks for crankbait bass fishing, and the 4 power, 2 piece blanks for salmon/steelhead rods in certain applications, the power and actions are similar enough to make them interchangeable. I haven't used the 2 piece rods I have for cranks, except while fishing them for salmon, as the grip lengths are longer than I like for bass.

Date: May 31, 2014 11:58AM

I used an MHX 2 piece inshore blank (L904-2-MHX) as a flipping stick, and it was completely wrong for that application, though it threw an Alabama rig pretty well. That's listed as a fast action though.

Posted by: Timothy O'Neill (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2014 09:41PM

If you would like a glass rod a batson spg843 or 844 is inexpensive and easy to spigot ferrule if you buy two blanks. I have done this a few times, it takes half an hour. You could make a two or three piece rod without much hassle.

Janns has a 6' and 6' 6" two piece glass blank. Its pretty nice for the price. I use the longer one for swimming plugs and jigs when I fish areas that require lifting fish up onto a dock or high bank. It is powerful and suited to lures over 3/8 ounce.

Tim

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster