I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod dryer chuck ideas?
Posted by: eric zamora (166.108.254.---)
Date: May 28, 2014 06:40AM

I'm replacing the motor on my rod dryer and would like to improve the chuck assembly too. The new motor is the same diameter as the old one so it should be an easy swap. Aside from creating a chuck from a PVC cap and rubber bands, I'm tossing about the idea of buying a three-jaw "replacement" chuck from one of the main companies (pacbay/AT/batson) and somehow connecting that to the coupler i have for the motor. but i cannot see the back side of the chucks and have never seen one in person. Any thoughts anyone would like to share?

Also, any good deals on an available chuck out there? I'm going for low cost right now. It seems the black dome-like (rubber?) chucks i've seen photos of are designed for inserting a handle which could work.

any suggestions would be helpful. thanks!

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 06:52AM by eric zamora.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod dryer chuck ideas?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2014 09:27AM

Eric,
I have made quite a few of these for dryers:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

1. Obtain a PVC pipe end cap of about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
2. Find the exact center of the cap and drill a cap mounting hole in the center to mount the cap to your adapter shaft.
3. Obtain some neoprene. Generally either 1/32 or 1/16th inch thick. Use a punch or a pair of scissors to cut a 1/2 inch hole in a piece of neoprene about 3 inches square. (It may have to be larger to help to stretch it onto the cap.
4. You can obtain another piece of pvc pipe or adapter to slip over the end of the cap with about a total of 1/32 inch clearance. You may need to reduce the outer diameter of the cap for a nice fit of the pvc ring over the cap.
5. Then, holding the cap in a fixture for stability, use 4 hands. Two hands pulling down on the edges of the neoprene to center the hole and stretch the neoprene over the end of the cap, and two more hands to slip the pvc ring over the stretched neoprene to hold it in place.
6. If you want to do it a bit more quickly and easier, do as Flex Coat does with their chucks and use two plastic tie wraps to secure the stretched neoprene in place over the end of the cap. Again, two hands to stretch the neoprene and two more hands to place and tighten the plastic tie wraps to secure the cap.
7. Now that the chuck is complete, make an adapter shaft to mount the chuck on the motor. Use a piece of aluminum shafting of about a 3/8th inch size. Drill a hole through the center of the shaft the size of the motor shaft on which you are going to mount the shaft.
8. On the chuck end, tap the hole to allow a machine screw to be screwed through the chuck and into the shaft to secure the chuck.
9. In the area of the motor shaft, drill a hole at right angles to the hole to allow a set screw to be installed to secure the shaft to the motor.
10. Finally, tap the cross hole for the set screw.
11. Insert the set screw and secure the shaft onto the motor with the chuck already mounted to the shaft.
12. You should be good to go.

The total cost of the materials for the chuck is about $2.

Or, you could go to flex coat and pay their cost for the chuck already made.

By the way, in all of the hours of drying that I have used these chucks to hold rods of all sizes, I have never ever had a handle come out of the chuck.
Note: to keep the neoprene from leaving a black line on the handle, I will take a wrap of blue pvc tape around the handle to protect the handle from marks.

Here is a picture of my drying motor with the chuck attached:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 28, 2014 09:36AM

Eric,
i would add one thing to what Roger said: look at a cheap used UPS for desktop computer systems.
One that would drive your drier for sufficiently long that the epoxy you use will dry beyond sag point should power fail.
Summer is coming and rolling blackouts may be in your future.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2014 02:36PM

Thank you Roger and Lou. I'm open to others' input as well, though this completely covers one approach, probably the most popular from internet searches and photo perusing at this site last night (early morning?)

and Lou, i think that's the first time i've heard anyone suggest a solution for power failures. smart boy-scout thinking there.

The motor I have (and i wish i knew more about electronics to know i bought the right kind) included a machined aluminum coupler about 3/4 inch in diameter, maybe an inch or more in length with a tiny hex head set screw. plus a tapped hole at the chuck-end with an included screw for holding a chuck, so i think i'm "set" there.

now, where to find neoprene in a small quantity and an extra set of hands (my parents only sprang for the standard two unit model). I'd hate to have to sacrifice a bootie from my waders :) kidding. perhaps a bike inner tube would work too...

thanks again Roger for taking the time to outline the steps. being archived, hopefully it'll help others as well.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: May 28, 2014 02:48PM

Eric,
This might work for you, but its 2 inch width is a bit narrow. I like to use rubber that is about 4 inches square to make stretching easier.

[www.grainger.com]

Lots of Grainger's around.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2014 02:51PM

Roger,

How about this one? :)

[www.grainger.com]

I clicked your link and it was an alternate product at the bottom of the page.

Joe

Date: May 28, 2014 02:57PM

Joe,
Perfect.

Date: May 28, 2014 02:58PM

On the big internet @#$%& site item number

shows a 1x2 foot piece of 1/32 neoprene at a good price.

Be safe

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2014 02:59PM

With all of that neoprene, i could make up a bunch, paint the PVC caps silver, and then come up with a cool name!

thanks everyone

-eric
fresno, ca.

Date: May 28, 2014 03:42PM

Eric,
I have tried a few different hole sizes in the neoprene but have found that a 1/2 inch hole in the unstretched neoprene seems to work about best. When stretched, the hole enlarges to about 5/8th of an inch.
Then, the neoprene easily stretches to the 1 or 1/4 or 1 1/2 typical handles used in rod building.

If you wanted to dry a lot of salt water rods, or heavy musky rods using larger grips, then it might make sense to punch a hole in the unstretched neoprene of about 3/4 inch to 1 inch - if you were only going to be using grips of 1 1/2 to 2 inches or so.

Be safe

Date: May 28, 2014 03:43PM

Another thing that some folks have used for a chuck of this sort to retain the neoprene is a screw type pipe clamp like used on radiator hoses. It is rather large and clunky and unnecessarily expensive, but it will work fine.

Be safe

Date: May 28, 2014 03:52PM

I think it's time to go wander the aisles at a local hardware store...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: May 28, 2014 03:59PM

Or buy this [www.mudhole.com]

Date: May 28, 2014 04:12PM

Thanks Eric. Yup, i've seen that and it's at the top of my list for ready-made offerings.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-200.myvzw.com)
Date: May 28, 2014 05:17PM

Or buy this [www.flexcoat.com]

...the original made in the USA. Flex Coat Self adjusting Chuck.

Many of the fine retailers on the left of this page have them.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 05:59PM by John Cates.

Posted by: Shawn Grimm (130.76.64.---)
Date: May 29, 2014 01:35PM

A lot of mousepads are neoprene. Can find them for next to nothing at 99 cent store

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster