I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod blank
Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2014 07:07AM

I want to build a rod to fish for flathead on the saltwater flats out of my small tinny in QLD, Australia. The line weight will be about 8-15 lb. The lure weight will be between 1/8-3/4oz. The length will be about 7 ft. Long casting will be good if I can get it. So far, I have found 3 blanks that could fit the bill:
A) The HM-P844-MHX
B) The HM-MB862-MHX or
C) The CTS ES704
No doubt there are lots of others.
Any comments as critical as you like would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul Braithwaite

Braith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod blank
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse3.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2014 08:32AM

Mate it might pay to drop a little in line class for that. Perhaps the next blank down which will still see you cover the majority of the lure weight. I'm also guessing you wouldn't use the heavier 3/4 as much as the lighter range?
If you want distance it might also pay to add another 6". So perhaps the HM-P903-MHX.
I also think the Phenix range is worth a look.
The Ultra UMBX-S706M-B or the Bass Recon PHX-S763M-B would work or even one of the M1 blanks.

Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 27, 2014 11:33PM

Mark.
I am happy to drop the line class, I am not expecting to catch anything over 10 lbs in this situation. However I need to maintain the lure weight as I plan to use plastics up to 1 oz if the rod handles it. I've got a Pflueger Medallist 2-6lb rod for the little lures.I don't want to go over an absolute maximum of 7'2" because I hate breaking rods(I want 1 piece) on dry land and I have trouble netting fish by myself with longer rods.
Do you think the Phenix is a better blank in this class?
Have you had experience with the Kiwi CTS blank?
Thanks for your help
Paul Braithwaite

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse3.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 28, 2014 09:30AM

I have not had any experience with CTS blanks but have only heard great things about them. They have a good rep.
Between the three brands mentioned you will get a good blank and I can't say which would better sorry.
There are others out there too so perhaps other members can chime in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster