I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Harbor Freight Lathe
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 22, 2014 10:59AM

I cannot afford a high quality lathe, so I'm considering purchasing a lathe from Harbor Freight. Anyone have any experience with one??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harbor Freight Lathe
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2014 11:05AM

Some like them, others hate them. For shaping cork and EVA they're apt to be fine. For serious woodwork, they're maybe a little on the light side.

Keep in mind that Jet and Delta make some very good mini lathes for well under $500. You can often find them used for half of that. Rikon and a few others have similar lathes, sometimes at even lower prices.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 11:18AM

Try a Google Search for Used Mini Lathes I show a lot coming up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 11:18AM

Harry,
This lathe is identical to several others that have different brands on them.

It is nice to put the lathe extension on the lathe to allow you easier handling of certain jobs.

As you know, by the time you get chucks, tail stocks, tool rests, etc. you will pay about this much more for the total package:

[www.harborfreight.com]

You can not minimize the use of a good chuck for your lathe work.
You need both a 3 jaw, or nova style chuck as well as a keyless 1/2 inch chuck for general purpose small item holding.
It is also a good idea to have a ball bearing tail stock for work piece holding.

Go with a lathe that has the m t2 accessories. That way, if you do go to a different lathe down the line, you will be able to move chuck and tail stocks to the new lathe.

The other thing that you can pursue is the used lathe route. Often checking newspaper ads, craigs list, pawn shops or used tool shops - you can find excellent quality lathes for decent prices.

Be safe

Date: May 22, 2014 11:20AM

This excelsior is essentially the same lathe as the Harbor freight lathe.
So, if you need accessories, you can get them from this store if you have a local store.

[www.rockler.com]

Date: May 22, 2014 11:21AM

For example,
This bed extension fits either the Harbor freight or the Excelsior lathe.

[www.rockler.com]

Posted by: Eric Green (---.scansafe.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 12:52PM

I am a hobby builder and have an inexpensive HF lathe I use for shaping bass and spinning rod grips. It works great.

Eric Green

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: May 22, 2014 01:36PM

If you've purchased tools from harbor freight in the past and are happy with the quality and price point and don't plan to ever try some semi-serious woodturning, you probably will be happy with the lathe.

If you think you might want to try some hobby wood turning some day, I'd invest in a better lathe up front.

Date: May 22, 2014 02:01PM

John,

A lathe needs to be able to run true, have enough power, and have the ability to hold a good tail stock in place.

Any lathe that meets these requirements will work well for the jobs required of rod building.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: May 22, 2014 03:16PM

Roger, I don't think we are in disagreement as to the rod building aspects of turning on a lathe, but there are other considerations a wood turning hobbyist should consider such as variability of speeds and the torque produced at those speeds, practical vs theoretical diameter of swing, a variety of headstock and tailstock specs, the variety of supported chuck, faceplate, and centers, usable length between centers, the ability to turn outboard, tool rest design (reach, swing, durability, capacity to name a few), overall mass, cast iron vs stamped/folded/rolled steel frame, eccentric turning dampening capabilities, room to mount accessories like duplicators, and I could go on a bit more...

While I don't consider myself a pro turner, I have been turning both at artistic and production levels on and off, but at least monthly, for nearly 35 years. Among my circle of turning friends, none use the entry level machines. At the same time, among my rodbuilding friends, some use entry level lathes and get great results.

I'm just advising the original poster to consider if he might want to someday work on larger more demanding projects not typically attempted while making rod components. Lathes tend to fall into the class of tools where you usually get what you pay for and not a lot more. If you think you may someday need those extra capabilities or capacities, it's best to buy them up front.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 03:19PM by John E Powell.

Date: May 22, 2014 04:12PM

John,
Well written.

Be safe

Posted by: Scott A Randall (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 05:35PM

I just picked up a jet 1014i mini lathe off craigslist. You can check with wood turning clubs, or stores like woodcraft , and hardware stores where they have areas to post ads for services or things for sale. It took me a few months to find one local and the quality I wanted. I paid 190.00 which is half of what a new one is. ( the new model is the 1015i). The most important thing is to make sure the centers line up!!! I know some day I will want a larger lathe and I feel this one will still hold value if I wanted to sell it. For the first one this was the right way to go for me. Hope this helps

Posted by: James Roper (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 07:22PM

Harry,
I have the Harbor Freight 12" x 33 3/8" lathe. If you have room for a floor lathe this one got good reviews on several turning forums. I turn cork and eva grips on mine. I have turned quite a few ink pens and spindles with it as well. It has plenty of power and is a good buy when on sale and using a 25% coupon.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2014 09:11PM

Keep an eye on craigslist and check at woodcraft, like stated above. I got my jet 1220 from craigslist for fairly cheap. I was at harbor freight this morning, and looked at that lathe. It looks really good for the price. Also, HF usually has a really good return policy should it mess up.

An alternative for only doing grip work may be the grizzly hobby lathe that can be used with a drill. [www.grizzly.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster