I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: AREA 51: Question #1: Optimum table height
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.direcpc.com)
Date: May 21, 2014 07:01AM

Go to your local Custom Cabinet shop and they can order you sheet formica for your own countertop build or build one for you. Be prepared, sheet formica is not cheap. If your going buy a finished counter put some money in the local small business guys pocket and not the big box. Just my 2c

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 21, 2014 12:00PM

I think you're on the money Jim. Just located a shop in Pensacola that sells sheet Formica. WAY hard to find and $80 for a 3 X 12 piece but that particular surface I believe is by far the best. 26" wide custom counter top is $21 a foot!!! Big savings applying it myself.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2014 01:26PM

Jim,
Are you familiar with the process of applying the formica?

I had a friend help me to cover a table that turned out well. Cut one sheet that was a touch larger than the size of the top. Then, to get matching grain, took the cut material that was hanging off each side to cover each edge.

First use contact to glue the edges to the sides of the table. start in the center and work to the ends, using a roller to remove all air. When the two ends have been glued in place use a router to trim the top , bottom and both ends of the material.
Then, use the cement to glue the sides on the table. Again, start from the center and use a roller to roll to the ends removing all air. Again, use a straight cutting router with a pilot bearing on the end to avoid burning the formica and trim the edges of the sides of the formica.

Finally, use contact cement on both the table top surface and the underside of the formica. Then, laid several dowels on the top of the table to allow the contact cemented formica to be laid over the top and perfectly centered. When, it is perfectly positioned, pull out the center dowels and use a roller to roll down the surface starting from the center and working to the edges. This process will remove any air between the layers.
Once the top has been applied and allowed to dry, use a router with a straight bit to trim the edges of the top, flush with the already applied sides and ends of the table.
Finally, use the router with a very slight curve to remove the razor edge left on the sides of the table top and you will be good to go.

and:

[lumberjocks.com]

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 01:29PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2014 02:29PM

There are better ways to do it than what is described above. Not trying to disparage Roger. Coat the entire surface of the table w/contact cement and coat the entire surface off the formica. Let dry completely. I use old slats from venetian blinds and lay them on the table top every few inches. Position the formica over the slats without letting it touch the table top. Start at one end and carefully remove one slat at a time. Then go over it with a roller to make sure it is well pressed down and then trim with a formica bit in your router.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2014 04:44PM

Bar Coating Clear ??? Not sure how hard it is
3/4" plywood color if ya want
Then the clear coating ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 21, 2014 06:52PM

Randy,
That is exactly what I said and the way that I like to do it as well.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2014 08:23PM

Yep Roger I mis-read your post and missed the dowel Part. My apologies. :<)

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2014 09:30PM

Jim, You can buy a full sheet of white masonite which is applied the same way. Its alot cheaper and it takes a beaten too.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 22, 2014 09:20AM

Dennis,
What masonite is fine and that is what I use in the dirty shop. But the white is just paint and over time scratches off etc.

However, I do like the white masonite for the rough and tough shop because the white makes things easy to see. For the heavy work table, on which I use it, I just use a few brads around the edges to attach to the heavy bench.

Then, when the top gets beaten up too badly, I pop off the top and nail on a new top. For this part of the shop it works very very well.

So much easier to see things on a white bench and the tough clean surface is easy to keep clean.

Be safe

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 11:20AM

I built some kitchen cabinets years ago and have a pretty good recollection of the way Formica installs. I do like the dowel/slat idea, specially on a 10 foot piece. Now all I need is the time to make an 80 mile round trip to pick up a piece.

Thanks for the all the suggestions gentlemen...this is exactly the kind of help I hoped I would get by doing this. And, please don't be discouraged if your ideas don't show up...I am working with a lot of "other" limitations on this project!

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2014 12:29PM

Jim,

I used some counter tops I found at a local home improvement center that had some small defects so I got them at a discount price and the base of the benches are inexpensive 2 door cabinet organizer, some with a drawer. I installed spacers under the counter top to adjust the bench height until the benches felt right to me. I used some PVC pipe as legs to support the back of the benches.
Also something else to think about is the chair your going to use, I use a office type chair that can be adjusted up or down this way you can adjust your height to your bench to what you need.

[WWW.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 22, 2014 06:54PM

I use a 12' counter top with two - three drawers file cabinets as supports on each end. I also support the counter top with two pieces of steel to eliminate any bowing in the counter top.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster