I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Let’s jazz up the Summer Forum Slump!
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 19, 2014 03:11PM

Not much happening on the forums the past few weeks. I guess everybody is fishing and that’s great, but I have a project and ANGLERS?RESOURCE NEEDS YOUR?HELP.

The project code name is ”Area 51”, a clandestine off-site location near downtown Foley where we are currently planning a hidden ”research facility” designed to answer any and all questions that may come up about Fuji and/or other products Anglers Resource may choose to carry. (Not very secret anymore, I guess)

As the project came into focus we realized that we had a HUGE base of knowledge to tap into on the Rodbuilding forum and since we have never done anything like this before it makes sense to let you guys offer input along the way.

It’s a cool opportunity from the standpoint that we want to consider YOUR input in designing the space. What we propose to do is: 1) Ask your opinion. 2) Digest the answers and 3) Proceed with the solution we feel best fits the space and goal of the project.

Unfortunately, we don’t have an unlimited budget, so ”shoestring” suggestions will likely win the day. Still, we want it to be a nice hideaway where important work can be done.

The project will be constantly photographed as we progress, and I will establish a running album of images here and on our Facebook page.

The space is approximately 30ft X 18ft and will include:

1) A rod building area set up to accommodate instructional videos

2) A mini photo studio area for close-up guide photography

3) A blank measuring board

4) A white board and seminar/conference area

5) A lathe and reamer room (off the main area)

6) A couch and a frig!

Here is the actual space..[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is a proposed blueprint for the space..[www.rodbuilding.org]

First question:
WHAT AM I FORGETTING???

Jump in guys...this could be fun.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let’s jazz up the Summer Forum Slump!
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2014 03:17PM

When it is and where it is!!

Date: May 19, 2014 03:24PM

It's in Foley, AL, near our offices. We hope to have it completed by the end of June. It won't be open to the public, but we can sneak you in the next time you're in Gulf Shores. Hope I didn't lead anyone to think it's a store front. Strictly a research dept for Anglers Resource.

Date: May 19, 2014 03:46PM

Sounds like you will have fun with it. I still have some guides that Mr Omura gave me at the 1984 AFTMA show and a 1982/83 catalog in both Japanese and English.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2014 01:26AM

Jim, Nice space. I hope you didn't forget some good overhead lighting at your wrapping station and a dust collection system at the lathe. A 1" belt sander for guide dressing? A bench vise? What no spray booth? Ha Ha Ha, boy Jim , your one lucky guy!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: May 20, 2014 10:08AM

Jim,

Do you work with your wrapper headstock to the right or left? In the current configuration you have unrestricted length if the headstock is to the right, but not the left.

I would also recommend you consider the possibility of a sliding wrapper and fixed person vs fixed wrapper and moving person.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.81.---)
Date: May 21, 2014 10:41AM

Don't put ceiling fans in it - they eat blanks for lunch.

If you can, have plenty of head room and length in your building area to allow easy manipulation of long blanks.

Use a white floor in the building area so that you can find the micro guides you drop.

Check out the cost difference for 30 x 24 feet. Every time I've done something along these lines I've wished I hadn't been so shortsighted in not going a little bigger. You may find the difference isn't as much as you think.

Date: May 22, 2014 11:37AM

Overhead lighting is pretty good. Lathe area will be isolated in a separate room, sealed with plastic and have dust collection. Recently added a small belt knife sharpener from Cabela's and it is the cat's a** for guide feet and knives. [www.cabelas.com]
Bench vise is a good idea

John, I'm a headstock to the left guy which as you mention is wrong for this table. Very good point, I may rethink the layout although I would be surprised if I had something over 10 feet that was 1 piece.

Michael...the space is a "gift" of sorts. Owned and unused for years so the company will utilize it. I will not be looking a gift horse in the mouth. No ceiling fans, a sort of low ceiling and carpet that's guaranteed to eat size 4 KT's!

Date: May 22, 2014 01:07PM

Jim, is your finishing going to be done in the same room as wrapping? If so, I would get rid of the carpet. It will have dust and fibers in it that will assuredly end up in your finish!!

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: May 23, 2014 02:56PM

I love the idea from John. "
I would also recommend you consider the possibility of a sliding wrapper and fixed person vs. fixed wrapper and moving person." Interesting idea if a person has space for it. A universal slide that could be used under any wrapping device would be nice!!

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: May 24, 2014 06:18PM

you are going to need a number of these [www.staples.ca] (chair pads). They may help with finding the micros

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster