I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blank recommendation
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 18, 2014 08:07PM

I have never had any of these blanks in my hands. I am building a 9' 5 wt. rod for an occasional fly caster. I am hoping it becomes more than this. I am looking at the Batson Forecast, and Rain Shadow, and the Pac Bay, Traditions, and Rainforest blanks. I am looking for a forgiving blank, that is still good for better casters. I am sort of stuck in the $30 to $50 dollar range for the blank. Do any of you have a recommendation between these blanks, or another blank I should look at?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blank recommendation
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2014 08:31PM

You cannot go wrong with the Batson blanks! There are 3 actions to chose from, each with it's own price point. If price is the decider, the RX6 is the least expensive.

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2014 08:57PM

All you mentioned are good, but my favorites for that application have always been the Batson RX6 or RX7. You'll be impressed at the performance/price ratio.

Posted by: Bill Houk (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2014 09:15PM

I'm a newbie but the Forecast and Rainshadow blanks are very good. The Rainshadow is a bit more up scale than the Forecast... After having built half a dozen rods on each blank I think I do prefer the Rainshadows.

Bill Houk
Speedway, Indiana

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 18, 2014 09:28PM

I wish you a great deal of luck in finding a "good" blank at that price point.
With the streams you have available I'd consider an up-grade to a better casting blank.
I've cast both and the only thing attractive is price.
Casting performance is very limited and your casting potentials will quickly out grow their shortcomings.
If you are going thru the frustations of learning, select a blank that you will grow to.

You might try the clearance sale below and get a St Croix

Good luck on the learning curve, but the rewards are worth the effort.

Gene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2014 09:30PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: May 18, 2014 09:42PM

How about an 8' 6" 5 wt for about $40? Check the Batson sale at Getbitoutdoors.com.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 19, 2014 06:42AM

I just built 2 personal 9' 5wt for my wife and I to fish the San Juan river last week on Bingham Ent's SHX905-4 and they performed awsome

Ron Weber

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.rev.dedibox.fr)
Date: May 19, 2014 07:56AM

When you go for cheap, go for short. The short blanks are way easier to build, since the hardest part is to control tip bounce, which is always less on shorter rods. I'd definitely chose an 8'6.
RX6 blanks are awesome for the price if you like moderate actions (which is just what you seem to look for).

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 19, 2014 08:14AM

Mike,
call Karen at Bingham.
Her9 ft 5 wt BING SHX blanks are fine for 4 piece blanks and may just be what you want.
Price is very good too.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: May 19, 2014 10:09AM

I have been building fly rods for years. I built rods for a small fly shop at one point. I no longer do this, and don't see many blanks these days unless I buy them first sight unseen. When I was building for the shop, there were few blanks available to us. Mostly Sage, Fenwick, and LCI. Today there seems to be many. That is why I come here with questions about blanks I have no real firsthand knowledge of. This blank is for my Son-in-law to learn to build, and use. He set the price, length, and line weight. I am just trying to find him the best bang for his money. Thanks for all of the information. I will look at the Bingham blanks as well.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 19, 2014 10:23AM

It sounds like this angler will be making short to medium-length casts of small flies where wind is not normally an issue. Any of the blanks you mentioned will easily cast 50 or 60 feet with comparable accuracy. I would try to get the angler involved in researching and selecting a blank and components. It makes a custom rod more customized.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2014 05:54AM

I wrapped my daughter a Forecast RX6 7'6" 4 piece for 4wt line and it works so well, i love fishing it myself on small to medium sized streams for trout in the central Sierra out here in California. Roll casting is great. I fished a 8 foot for 4 weight RX6 last weekend with dries and that was fun too. Streams were anywhere from 10-20 feet across and wind was not a factor.

I also have an RX7 i use on occasion. It's a 9'-6" for 7 weight and that does fine on lakes from a float tube. This is all very subjective though.

In addition to the price, i find the blue color of the RX6 very attractive too. lol

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 25, 2014 01:15PM

Call Johnny at Angler's Roost. You will be pleasantly surprised!
Great rods for the price.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster